News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Dome Lights Not Working

Started by Bill Pipeer, July 12, 2014, 12:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Pipeer

Hello Folks, got my 1960 series 62 convertible back from the paint shop.  None of the dome lights now work.  Paint shop deny all responsibility.

I've checked the fuses in the holder under the dash on the driver's side, they appear OK.  Are there any other relays/fuses to check?

Many thanks,  Bill.

Jon S

Did you check the wires on the door switches and that they are making proper ground contact?  Not knowing the extent of your paint job, paint shops normally remove the door switches and reinstall them after the paint job is completed.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bill Pipeer

Hello Jon, I haven't checked that.  It was a full re-spray including door shuts etc. I'll get on that tomorrow.

Many thanks,  Bill.

quadfins

I agree with Jon. The switch bodies act as the ground. If they don't make good contact, the circuit will not complete.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Turn the headlight dimmer to see if the lights come on.  If they do, then the circuit is intact and you're looking at the door switches as everyone says.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bill Pipeer

Thanks Jeff and Jim.

Sorry to appear dumb Jeff, but the dome lights must be on a constant feed. I don't see how they are connected with the dimmer switch.

Cheers,  Bill.

Julien Abrahams

I don't know about the '60, but in my '67 the headlight switch also acts as a dimmer switch for the instrument lights, speedometer and such (first pull to turn on the headlights, then turn the knob to change the intensity of the dash instrument lights. If you fully turn the knob counterclockwise, the dome lights/courtesy lights should come on if the circuit is intact. Then the problem is in (one of) the door switches. I think that's what Jeff meant.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Bill Pipeer

Hello Julien, just tried your suggestion, I don't think this applies to my car, the dimmer only turns clockwise.  The centre dash light did that function.

Thanks any way.  Bill.

Julien Abrahams

Do you have a shop manual/owners manual? Does it say anything about the dome lights and whether or not they can be turned on in another way than opening one of the doors?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Martin Michaels

Does the switch itself have to be grounded, doesn't the switch itself make and break the ground which completes the circuit when the door is opened.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Jon S

The switches ground by attachment to the car.  I believe they only have one wire (positive) and the assembly surround serves as the ground.  Have you removed the switches to check for continuity?
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Yes, you should be able to pull the wire off the switch and ground it to the body to make the lights illuminate.  If you ground the switch to the body and the lights illuminate, the problem is in the switch.  Otherwise, one needs to look elsewhere.  The sockets should have power on one side all the time, the bulb is the bridge between the two sides, and the other side is the ground through the switch.

If you have good switches and power to the sockets, then your trouble is between the socket and the switch and vice versa.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Simple idea - push the switch plunger and see if it returns all the way out.  Otherwise grab the plunger and pull it out all the way.  If lights come on - bad switch.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bill Pipeer

Thanks everyone.  Just found I have a perforated gas tank.  When I've sorted this I'll get back to the dome lights!!

Cheers,  Bill.

Julien Abrahams

1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Bill Pipeer

Hi Julien, I sent you a personal message, I THINK!

Cheers,  Bill.