News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Detailing my new 67 Eldorado begins

Started by GtoJudge, July 13, 2014, 10:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GtoJudge

I am starting in the engine compartment. It is clean but the  engine paint  is tired. I bought some Bill Hirsche dark blue engine paint and ordered intake, valve cover, push rod cover and exhaust gaskets. I pulled the valve covers and could not believe how clean this engine is, no sludge, it looks like new, even the painted stripes on the valve springs is still intact. I guess you can tell I am excited that this engine is so clean and untouched. Now to my question. I did a search and found some pictures, but I do not know if they are correct as far as details in the engine compartment and underside. Can someone steer my to a site or send me pictures of a 67 Eldorado that has won awards at the Cadillac LaSalle concourse meet?

I am making this car an exceptional driver and am a stickler for engine compartment details.

Thanks in advance

Mike
67 Eldorado
70 Gto Judge, Ram Air IV
88 Corvette Convertible, 8,000 original mile

GtoJudge

67 Eldorado
70 Gto Judge, Ram Air IV

Scot Minesinger

There is an authenticity manual published by the CLC and I would order that, it will give all correct colors and details. The manual covers 1967 thru 1970.  I have three 1970 Cadillacs w/472 engine.  You have 429 engine, and so can't really advise correctly.  Give it a little time and people will reply.  I would not start to work repainting until you receive the manual.  Since you are new to the forum, it is really helpful to me.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacrazy

My 67 Eldo is not correct, otherwise I would send some photos.

Do you have photos of your engine compartment that you can post for us to comment on?

Carolyn Dippel
67 Eldorado
67 DeVille
79 CDV
(previously 93 and 96 Eldorados)

GtoJudge

Thank you for the replies. I will post up some pictures ASAP.
67 Eldorado
70 Gto Judge, Ram Air IV

GtoJudge

I checked the authenticity manual for my year and it states w/o Eldorado. Is that a misprint? Is there one w/ Eldorado?

Thank you

67 Eldorado
70 Gto Judge, Ram Air IV

Scot Minesinger

Yes it is correct, but get the book anyway.  Much of the details in the book will apply, say for example all the engine details, colors and etc.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

w32rag

Hello Mike
I am detailing my 67 Eldorado and I see there are different shades of blue on the Engine. What did you do? Did you come across this, what was your take of it?

76eldo

If you can accomplish your mission without unbolting the exhaust manifolds I would strongly advise not to remove them.

You will break at least a few of the bolts off in the process and unless you get really lucky, it's not worth the risk.  You will end up pulling the heads or the engine in order to drill out and re-tap the holes for the manifold bolts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)