News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum antenna

Started by Raymond919, July 16, 2014, 10:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymond919

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for an exploded diagram of a vacuum antenna. I did a search for it but haven't found anything. I found the name of Klaus Wojak who rebuilt them but I doubt he's still doing it. I might try giving him a call later but wouldn't have it actually done until the Fall or Winter.
I've carefully taken mine apart and find some plastic/nylon discs inside to be intact, but cracked. The leather is beyond repair and I'd make new leather pieces. Unfortunately, in taking it apart, several parts dropped out and I don't know the order to assemble it again. The '49 Times had an excellent article on repairing it but not to the extent that I'm going. I feel confident that with a diagram, I'd be able to fabricate and replace the parts and get it working again.
Just an exploded diagram showing the order of assembly would be great.
Many thanks in advance,
Ray Schuman ('49 Caddy)

Paul Phillips

Ray
There were several versions of the antennas, but the principles are similar.  The Serviceman from May/June 1944 has a major article on servicing the antenna.  You may want to find a copy (frequently available on ebay).  I can scan mine and send to you if needed - please send a PM.  Parts Manual for 1949 has a couple of versions in exploded view.  Below is a pdf of the later (47-48) version, which should match for 49.  Sorry about the image orientation, but that's the way my scanner processed it.

One tip you may find useful - an inexpensive gasket punch set (I got mine from Grizzly) is a great way to be able to do the concentric punching needed for the leather sealing washers.

Good luck!
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Jeff Maltby 4194

In restoration, do a a search for vacuum antenna.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Raymond919

Thank you, Jeff, I'll do that. For now I put it back together using the diagram sent by Paul. I figured it's something I'll tackle in the off-season. I'll download any diagrams or instructions I find in 'restoration'. If I realize it's 'beyond' my abilities, I'll contact Klaus Wojak and see if he's still in business.
Ray Schuman

Jay Friedman

Ray, There were a couple of articles in the '49 Times on repairing the vacuum antenna over the years.  All 48 issues are on line, indexed by topic, at www.1949Cadillac.com 

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Raymond919

Many thanks, Jay, for the information. The embarrassing thing is that I have every issue of the '49 Times but didn't think to go through them. They are actually outstanding in their detailed information which you will not find elsewhere. Thanks for putting them together.
Ray Schuman

Jay Friedman

Has anyone (Ray?) recently tried to contact Klaus Wojak to see if he is still in business?  I thought he had retired yet I see he has an ad in this month's Hemmings Motor News.  On the other hand, when I tried calling the phone number listed in the ad several times, no one answers.

My 49 antenna's vacuum function is fine as it goes up and down well, but its antenna function no longer works and the radio signal is weak.  I cleaned the antenna cable's ground connection at the firewall as well as the cable's contact point with the antenna itself, but there was no improvement.  To test it (to make sure the problem is indeed in the antenna and not the radio) I hooked up an ordinary aftermarket antenna to the vacuum antenna cable at the connection under the hood and the radio works normally. 

Does anyone have advice or info on Klaus?
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Dan LeBlanc

Jay.  What about using a hidden modern antenna mounted somewhere where nobody will ever know?

http://www.tunetrapper.com/index.html
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jay Friedman

Dan,

Great suggestion.  I may buy one and have contacted the company to ask about the best one of the various models for my particular application.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jay Friedman on March 20, 2015, 02:40:38 PM
Has anyone (Ray?) recently tried to contact Klaus Wojak to see if he is still in business?  I thought he had retired yet I see he has an ad in this month's Hemmings Motor News.  On the other hand, when I tried calling the phone number listed in the ad several times, no one answers.
I called him maybe last year. He obviously still has antennas for sale; during winter time, he is in Florida.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Raymond919

I contacted these people and they advised me that the antenna is about 2 feet long and flexible. I will probably get one for my car. I took apart the vacuum antenna and find I need some internal parts but there's a contact wire of some sort missing or broken preventing it from working properly. The blow-up diagrams I got are not detailed enough for me to duplicate the missing part. I'll leave the vacuum antenna on the fender and install this TT antenna in a hidden location. I'm just waiting back for the answer to one of my questions.
Ray Schuman
# 26141

Jay Friedman

Two comments:

1. After several tries I got Klaus Wojak on the phone in NC.  (He had been in Florida for the winter, which was why previously there had been no answer.)  We had a nice conversation, mostly discussing '49 Cads as he used to own one.  As for antennas, he is still in business, though he only does complete restorations.  My problem, as stated in my March 20th posting, is that my '49's antenna goes up and down fine, but does not perform its primary function of pulling in a radio signal.  Klaus said it's not economical for him to do small jobs like that but did say it's probably a problem in the short section of the antenna cable that goes between the antenna housing and the firewall of the car.  I'm trying to find a replacement. 

2. In the meantime, I bought a TuneTrapper antenna as suggested by Dan LeBlanc in his March 20 posting.  Thanks, Dan.  This is a modern antenna about 2 feet (61 cm.) long, whose case is white plastic.  It can be mounted anywhere inside the car, and can be ordered with a cable either 2 feet or 6 feet (183 cm.) long.  It came with 2 plastic ties and an adhesive pad, either of which can be used to fasten it to whatever part of the car you choose.  The firm suggested and I bought a 6 foot cable version but found the best place to mount the antenna was close to the radio under the dash, so I had lots of excess cable looping around.  I called them back and they agreed to exchange it for a 2 foot cable version.  It works fine, and if I don't find a replacement for the short part of my original antenna's cable, I'll leave things as is since the TuneTrapper antenna is not visible unless you look under the dash. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jay Friedman

The final chapter for me in this saga is that I've finally been able to repair my '49's vacuum antenna's most elementary function of pulling in a radio signal.  (It goes up and down fine.)  The key was waiting for a couple of guys to come back from their winter (hibernation??) in Florida.  As mentioned in a previous posting, first back was Klaus Wojak whom I then got on the phone and who advised me that the problem was the short section of the antenna cable between the antenna housing and the firewall. 

The next problem was to find this part.  I contacted my good friend Joe Cutler by email who told me that as soon as he returned home to Mass. from Fla. he'd look in his stock of stuff.  This he did and he found a good one.  When it arrived I installed it on the car and my radio now plays perfectly again with its original vacuum antenna.  I'll keep the modern TuneTrapper antenna I bought as a replacement for a spare since this is the second time I've had to make the same repair to the vacuum antenna.

Thanks to Dan LeBlanc who turned me on to the TuneTrapper, as well as Klaus and Joe.   

Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984