News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Slowly starting to think about selling... :S

Started by Julien Abrahams, July 16, 2014, 04:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hey guys, just need to vent (and ask a question or two at the same time).
I'm considering selling the Cadillac. Since I got it (four years ago) it ran well. Then I decided to fix an exhaust manifold leak. Then trouble began. As two bolts had broken off, I took off the heads, to drill the bolts out, and to lap the valves in one go. When everything was back together (a month or 2 later), she would not idle properly (sometimes not even at all). To cut a long story short: the intake manifold was cracked which I had welded. I also changed the carburetor (replaced by a similar Rochesster Quadrajet) as the old one was warped beyond repair. Now it still won't idle well. I think that the intake manifold has cracked again (even while using rubber/cork (composite material).
I know that it is running lean because the RPM's go up when I close the choke valve by hand.
In the mean time I changed the front brakes, (shoes, cylinders and hoses) but sometimes it doesn't seem to brake in the front, and a couple of minutes later, the front quite quickly locks up :S. Is this an adjustment issue? I adjusted the breaks with the drums off, because I don't manage to adjust the star wheel while holding the pawl at the same time when the drum is on. I adjusted them so that the drums don't drag when no brake pressure is applied (perhaps the slightest drag). Should they be tight(er)?
I'm getting a bit tired of the fact that the car has practically been in the same spot for the last year, not running well :S.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Julien Abrahams

1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Scot Minesinger

Not sure where you are located, but it may be time to enlist a trusted Cadillac member who has experience in this area.  Your car is going to have to be given away if it does not run or stop.  It can be frustrating.  If you resolve it this will be very rewarding.  If you are not retired and have kids at home, it may be tough to schedule some time to work on it.  If you are retired or kids are away from home, take your time and figure it out. 

I'm not sure welding is a good way to go on heads, maybe OK for an exhaust manifold (did it on mine four years ago).  Not positive about welding an intake manifold is a great way to go either.  Welding heads and intake manifold may be OK, but just do not know.  Jeff at Willington CAD has heads and intake manifold for a 67 Cadillac.  If it were me would have replaced it with good used.  I have suffered thru some crazy stuff too and it can be very frustrating.  Good luck!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

What happens is you sell yours and put the $$ in the bank.  You plan to save it for another car and then something comes up (water heater, furnace,etc) next thing you know, the money is spent and you have nothing to show for it but an empty spot in the driveway with a faded oil stain where a nice Caddy used to sit.
In for a penny, in for a pound.  You are this far into it you can't give up now.  Any shop can work on the brakes.  The intake is an issue you will need to find someone who knows what they are doing.  Will cost a little but what else are you going to do?? Sell your pride and joy for next to nothing and buy a Lincoln??
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Glen

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 16, 2014, 09:05:32 PM
Not sure where you are located, but it may be time to enlist a trusted Cadillac member who has experience in this area. 

His profile show he is in The Netherlands.  I believe there are other members there that might be close. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Julien Abrahams

A good night sleep does wonders:). I think you're right. Well, the brakes I'm not too worried about. This morning I took the drums off, sanded the new linings a bit, and cleaned the drum. Drum looks okay. Then I adjusted them according to the manual (which is a PITA job ). I think they also need some break in period. The manual states that you should make 5 to 10 stops from 30-40 MPH to seat the brakes. Will do that this week and see how it goes.
About the intake manifold: they are apparently pretty hard to come by. A couple of months back, there was one on e-bay for 350 dollars (which did not include another 200 dollar for shipping). I got it running now, and will adjust the carb somewhat richer for the time being. Mayb e in the future look for a different intake manifold.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Scot Minesinger

The intake manifolds are valued for 67 because it is the first year of Quadra-jet carb and some people install them on 1966 Cadillacs plus other years where a 67 IM would bolt onto a 429.  I think Jeff at Willington CAD (google) has them.

gary griffin

When welding cast iron such as headers and manifolds you need an old grey haired welder. .The trick is to start with a very pliable welding rod usually with  a high nickle content. This makes it malleable so it can stand the rigors of expansion and contraction.  Next it should be slowly heated to 500 or 600 degrees, and welded hot then wrapped with a blanket (We used to use asbestos) and allowed to cool evenly and slowly.

Gary Griffin (An old grey haired welder)
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Scot Minesinger

Reading Gary's post, take a hard look at the heads and intake manifold.  I don't know if the welding changed the dimensions slightly of the head even if done seemingly successfully.  Any heat treating of metal parts is in jeopardy at these high temperatures (hot enough to melt the metal).  Not sure if the heads were heat treated.  The block pins that position the heads are really small tubes that serve as oil returns, were those all clear?

Julien Abrahams

The heads were not modified in any way. Only the valves were lapped and I put new headgaskets on. The intake manifold had cracked in three places (about an inch above the flange towards the top of the manifold). 3 of the 4 were more or less cracked. So, I think that is also were the final problam is. I will contact the welder again as he said that he would fix it without charge if I would run into the same problem.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett