News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Drivers Window Came Apart

Started by Coupe Deville, July 16, 2014, 11:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I was working on my 57 sedan and I noticed the drivers side widow was detached from the bottom frame channel. The glass and the chrome trim on the top of the glass just pulled out of the frame. Not sure what was orignaly holding the glass to the frame was it a strip of rubber wedged between the glass and the frame? Was it a adhesive? Look at the pictures below the glass just pulls right out. Hoping to get the window back on soon.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gavin,

The glass and frame are held together by “setting tape”. It’s wrapped around the edge of the glass then the frame is gently hammered back on with something like a dead blow hammer. Start out with gentle taps until you get the feel of how much force is necessary.
The material is tacky or sticky and grips the frame channel and glass once in place. It’s available in three thicknesses and found in paint supply stores.

HTH,
Ralph

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

The Tassie Devil(le)

As a last resort, you can use a Silastic, but make completely sure that it isn't the Acetic type as you will end up with a rusted out channel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Coupe Deville

Hello Everyone. Finally got a ride to an auto glass shop and got the setting tape. Window is back in the car like it should be but there is a problem. The window had this problem when I received the car but the glass falling out was more important first. When the window is rolled all the way up and you slide the glass back and fourth in the channel there is about a inch of play. This causes the glass in the front channel on the back of the vent window to pop out of the track, or guide. Also when you go to roll the window down the front of the glass falls out of the guide. Below are some pictures of what the window does.(Ignore the crappy quality of my camera). I looked down into the door and the window frame track that screws to the bottom of the frame can slide independently of the two little plastic wheels. Something is not right here. Out of curiosity I tried the passenger side window. It does not have any play. Window rolls up and down nice, and door shuts cleanly. I am feeling I am missing some pice to locate the bottom frame track so it can not just slide back and forth independent of the two little roller wheels. I hope I described this well. Any suggestions? Thank you very much for your input.

-Gavin
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Coupe Deville

This happens when you Roll the window down or pull the glass back.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Gavin,

I’m not certain I understand the problem you described. If the glass moves in the chrome channel the glass or frame are the wrong size. Start by measuring it and compare to the other side.

If the whole unit , glass and chrome frame, moves forward and backward in the door, it’s adjustment of the channel inside the door. It would be caused by  the channel located at the rear of the door being positioned too far rearward. The top and bottom of the channel have adjustment bolts that permit movement. I don’t have my ’57 Shop Manual handy but I recall it contains a section on window adjustment.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Coupe Deville

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on August 28, 2014, 11:58:08 PM
If the whole unit , glass and chrome frame, moves forward and backward in the door, it’s adjustment of the channel inside the door. It would be caused by  the channel located at the rear of the door being positioned too far rearward. The top and bottom of the channel have adjustment bolts that permit movement.
HTH,
Ralph

Yes. That's what's happening. I will check it out and look at those adjustment bolts. I think I know where they are. I will look in my Dads 59 book too and see if window adjustment is in there.
Thank you.

-Gavin

Walter Youshock

There's a horizontal channel inside the door.  The window rides in this channel on nylon rollers.  Your channel to door screws may be loose or the rivets holding the rollers to the window frame could be loose or rusted away.  I'd check that area before messing with the vent window or rear channel.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

Hello Walter. I am familiair with that horizontal channel. I just had It out a few days ago when I put new setting tape in. The window did this before I removed it. I checked the rollers and they are still in great shape and are not loose. Are there screws that locate that channel to the door? I know there are four screws the locate the channel to the bottom of the window frame and they are tight.