News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone familiar with CT vehicle transfer laws?

Started by Lucas Feininger #15674, July 17, 2014, 08:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas Feininger #15674

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Cadillac currently offered for sale in Connecticut by a private seller (not a dealer). Owner has a registration but no title. What kind of paperwork would I need to buy the car from this seller? Would a registration and bill of sale be sufficient?

Thank you,

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

steve punzo

Lucas, what year is the Caddy you are considering and in what state will it be registered?

Jay Friedman

In my state, Georgia, the DMV will not issue a title for a car older than 1963, only a registration.  (No one, even at the DMV, knows why.)  When selling a car older than '63, the state requires the seller to issue a bill of sale and turn that over to the buyer along with the registration.  The buyer then registers and / or titles the car in his/her state or country.  I have sold cars like this with no problem. 

Connecticut may have a similar system.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

76eldo

I have bought cars from New York that do not have titles, just have registration cards.
The NY registration cards for older vehicles are transferable and state that on the card.
If the CT registration card says transferable on it you should be able to title it or register it in your state.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Lucas Feininger #15674

Thank you all for your replies.

Steve, the car is a 1965 Cadillac. I have run into this before with a car (also 1965) I bought in NH last year, same deal, no title, just a registration + bill of sale.

I will be registering the CT car in Massachusetts, Massachusetts requires you to apply for a title when you register a car. I was able to get a title for the car I bought in NH based on my transferred registration + bill of sale.

I would hate to buy a car that I could not register. When I go to CT I will examine the registration carefully to see if it can be transferred.

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

wrench

I bought my car in CT and obtained a NY transferable registration. I needed the previous owners CT registration and a bill of sale.

I don't know MA DMV requirements, but whatever you need, (Go to MA DMV and CT DMV websites to obtain the info) make sure the seller provides this. A trip to CT motor vehicles has been described to me as very unpleasant with wait times measured in multiples of hours. (I work in CT and hear a lot of horror stories about CT DMV).

So make sure the seller provides the paperwork you will need.

The issue is a sore subject with me as the previous owner didn't want to give up his CT registration because he could transfer it to another car and he wouldn't have to go through the CT DMV torture of applying for a registration from scratch. (argh!) (I am not making this up).

Eventually, he relented, but jeez, what a hassle.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

RobertM

Registration probably depends on MA laws, not CT.  CT doesn't require titles for cars made before 1981.  CT can do a title search for you if you need a title for MA, but I doubt that will be necessary.

From the CT DMV website (title FAQ):
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=801&Q=244524&dmvPNavCtr=|#30280

I have purchased an older vehicle in Connecticut, but the seller does not have a title. He says that the vehicle does not require a title. How do I register the vehicle?The State of Connecticut no longer requires title certificates for vehicles manufactured prior to 1981. In order for you to register the vehicle, you must have a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership (form Q-1) and a copy of the last registration certificate. You must show continuity of ownership from the last registered owner to you.

HTH Bob
Seymour, CT

Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA