News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 Wiper motor removal and vacuum diagram

Started by curly, July 17, 2014, 04:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curly

I am in the middle of stripping the interior of my '50 Series 62. I've got the dash out and want to repair the wiper while I am at it. I cannot find a vacuum diagram for the wiper motor or any info on how to remove the wiper motor.  I have the FSM but it does not include that info.
Can anyone share the info?

Thanks
T Lewis

rghobden

Here's how my vacuum lines are set up, Tim.  Starting at the fuel pump (which one half of the pump is a vaccum pump), a steel line runs from there, goes under the carburetor and connects to a rubber tube that connects to the bottom port of a "Tee" which is mounted on the firewall just below and to the left of the windshield wiper motor.  The top port of the "Tee" connects a rubber tube that goes to the wiper motor. The side port of the "Tee" goes into a hole in the firewall.

Inside and under the dashboard, a short rubber hose goes from the "Tee" to another "Tee".  One port of this "Tee" goes to the radio's volume control and the other port goes to the windshield wiper switch.  From the windshield wiper switch is another rubber tube that goes to the "vacuum" connection on the windshield washer pump. 

Back to the radio; two rubber tubes leave the volume control and go to the vacuum antenna.  Mine are connected so that when you pull the knob for volume control, the antenna goes up.  When you push the knob in, the antenna goes down.  By reversing the tubes on the antenna you can reverse the direction of the antenna operation.

The windshield wiper motor is simply held in place with two screws.  After removing the vacuum line and the control wire, remove the screws and pull the motor away from it's mounting plate. 

There are two hose connections on the wiper motor.  As near as I can tell, the vacuum line should be connected to the one on the passenger side or right side.  The other one is left open to the atmosphere. 

I had the same problems you are having.  I don't know why the Service Manual doesn't include the vacuum line hookups.  If anyone knows of a better way, I would appreciate the input.

Russ Hobden CLC #1235
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235

curly

Russ, Thank you for taking the time to type that up.  My vacuum motor has a vacuum port on the inside of the car, do you know where that goes?
Thanks
T Lewis

rghobden

I sure don't know where that would go.  That's a new one on me.

Russ Hobden #1235
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235

Raymond919

Could it have anything to do with the vacuum controlled windshield washer? The wiper switch on the dash has a button on it that controls the spray of washer fluid onto the windshield.
Ray Schuman

rghobden

It wouldn't be that, Ray.  The button on the wiper switch that turns the windshield washer on connects to the washer pump that's mounted on top of the glass jar.  Russ Hobden #1235
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235