News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 "special" steering wheel

Started by Jeff Trahan, July 19, 2014, 09:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Trahan

The shop manual says there is a "special" steering wheel for a 1947 Cadillac.  What is "special" about it?  How do I know if I have the "special" wheel or the regular wheel?  I'm attaching a photo of two hubs I have.  Is one a "special" and the other a "regular"?

Thanks.

Jeff Trahan
Jeff Trahan
1938 Cadillac V16 9033
1947 Cadillac 62 Convertible Coupe
1958 Cadillac Biarritz

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The special wheel was the ivory colored one. However, I have never seen a post-war standard wheel.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TonyZappone #2624

There was a standard wheel, just plain spokes, on Jay Friedman's '49 series 61 coupe.  (at Lake George)
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jay Friedman

Almost all Cadillacs of the 42-50 era have the ivory (some call it white) colored or black steering wheel with the chrome (stainless?) horn ring.  The ivory wheel is on most models but is black on some models such as '49 convertibles and 60 Specials with certain interior trim colors.  Both these steering wheels were called by Cadillac the "Special" steering wheel and it was, in fact, an extra cost option. 

The standard steering wheel, which was standard equipment in this era, is brown in color and does not have a horn ring, only a horn button at the center.  As Tony wrote, my '49 has a standard steering wheel and I have only seen 2 other cars with one of these in all my years of Cadillac watching.  I find it more comfortable for my hands when driving as the spokes are thick and the lack of a horn ring means there is more space for my hands.  It is not as good looking as the special wheel but is a great conversation piece.  FYI: my car originally had a special steering wheel, but some years ago Dennis Akerman offered me the standard wheel, which was NOS in a Cadillac box, for a reasonable cost and the rest is history.

The photos of what Jeff is calling "hubs" are actually 2 of the several differently colored horn buttons used in the 42-50 era.  The solid brown one was used in '49 and most '48s and possibly other years also.  The one with the tan center was used, I think, in '47 as well as on some '48s and possibly other years too.  Neither one is standard or special; they are identical physically and just have different colors.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."