News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 LaSalle hood ornament

Started by Brando, July 22, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brando

Can anyone suggest the proper procedure to restore this ornament?  How can you remove the fins to chrome the remaining parts?

Chris Bryant #19358

Hello Brando,

A picture would have been helpful, but look under the wings in the casting itself for a tiny set-screw. Be very careful to find the right screw driver or Allen key to take it out. Pre-soak with liquid wrench first.

Chris Bryant #19358

Brando

Tom Beaver

The fins are held in by two small pins, the ends of which are visible from the bottom of the ornament, and which are driven into the fins and casting at an angle.  They weren't really intended to be removed and are pretty well impossible to drill out because the angle at which they were drilled isn't known and probably varies from ornament to ornament.  I have however, successfully removed the fins on two different occasions but I had to damage the lower fin in the process.  I intended to replace the fins anyway so this wasn't a problem for me.

I mounted the hood ornament in a milling machine and using a small end mill I excavated around the visible end of the pins.  Once I did that I could get a-hold of the end of the pins and pull them out.  I'm surprised as they weren't in very tight so a little penetrating oil and small pair of side cutters and out they came.  For what it's worth, the pins in my hood latch were drilled by the factory at 15 degrees from the vertical with about 0.020 in. clearance between the drill and the body of the hood ornament.

I attached a picture of the hood ornament disassembled showing both the old and new sets of fins.  Hope this helps.

Tom Beaver

Brando