News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1994 Fleetwood Insurance

Started by domer, July 22, 2014, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domer

Hello Everyone,
Can someone please tell me if my 1994 Fleetwood would qualify for any type of collector car insurance instead of the standard insurance or is the car still too new?
Thanks
Dominique Vasquez #24943
1959 Coupe Deville http://bit.ly/1XkRuZc
1994 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OTqOf1

TJ Hopland

Most of the really inexpensive classic policies seem to cut off around 1970.    Not sure why that is a magic year but it does not seem to change, thats what it was 15 years ago when I was first looking and that was still what it was like 5 years ago. 

Some companies do have policies for states that have 'classic' plates / reregistration.   These plates usually have restricted use requirements like weekends, holidays, ect.   Some states you can get these plates as low as 20 years.   Guessing they figure that if you are not allowed to legally drive the car most of the time less chance for a claim and if there is one they will be looking real close to make sure you were not using the car when you were not supposed to.   My state it was 20 years and the car was 20 years old when I got it but I didn't want the restrictions on when I could drive it.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gene Beaird

You may want to try the usual 'classic' car insurance companies, like Hagerty and Grundy.  I believe we have a Grundy agreed-to value policy on our 95 Impala SS.  It's definitely a garage queen, and rarely driven (20K mile car), so it satisfies their use requirements.  I sent photographs of the car, and we agreed on a value (that I should now try to increase), and have had it covered under this policy for more than 10 years. 

TJ, I don't know how tightly Minnesota enforces the 'recreational use' clause that most states have for their 'Classic' or 'Antique' plates, but I commented that I couldn't do some things with our Seville due to the Classic plates to a friend who drives several old cars.  He has run the Hot Rod Power Tour several times and noted that probably 50% or more of the old vehicles on the Tour have Antique plates from one state or another. 

I still don't drive it much.   :D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

I have heard from friends with many cars that the classic companies will often 'bend' their rules for good customers that have several cars insured with them. 

From what I have heard Minnesota does not really enforce the restrictions on the collector plates.   The cops I have talked to see the plates on say a mini van on a weekday they may pull em over and ask some questions thinking its just someone that does not want to pay an annual reregistration.   They also told me that if it is say a weekday they can pull you over just to find out where you are going, they don't need another reason.  Apparently there is a clause that says you can drive the car to a repair shop or the car wash.  What most of them say is that if they are bored they will run the plate and if it comes up as registered in the general area they won't mess with em unless they are doing something stupid.  If its out of the area they may pull em over to ask what they are doing and at that point its all about attitude if you are in trouble or not.  They may not buy that you are going to a car wash across town. 

What I have been told the issues come up with the special plates in any state is if your insurance requires them.   If you are not using the car within the limits of the reregistration its not legal to be out in public.  Betting that the policy then is null and void.  At a minimum that is an expensive fine.   Worst case someone gets hurt.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

domer

Thanks to all for replying to my post.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Dominique Vasquez #24943
1959 Coupe Deville http://bit.ly/1XkRuZc
1994 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OTqOf1

mgbeda

I have Hagerty for my '96 Jaguar, but the one caveat was I had to have a newer car as a daily driver.  I don't remember how many years newer, if there was a set number.  You're pretty much on the honor system about how much you use the car, but they told me that as long as it's "occasional" use it's okay, even if you drive it to work once in a while.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)