News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Passed local technical inspection (valid for 2 years)

Started by Julien Abrahams, July 23, 2014, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Yes! I passed the local technical inspection again (bi-annually here in Holland). She runs, and brakes well. She could run better, but that is for later concern. First thing to do now: take it for a drive!  ;D.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

waterzap

What are the inspections like in Netherlands? I remember when lived in Germany, I had a car that was not going to pass the TUV. Local inspections. So I sold it to a guy across the border in NL. I told him this and this was an issue and it would not pass, but he said no matter. Took the car, gave me the money and that was that. In Germany the inspections are tough. If you have rust on the car, has to be fixed. No oversized wheels etc... Really I think 50% of the cars I see driving around here would not pass
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

Only 50% in your area?   In my area I would say 75% would not pass and thats just the cars.  If you 'inspected' the drivers too I bet you would have a 99.99% fail rate. 

I would guess that most of the USA has no inspection at all, some areas have emissions only, how many places actually do a safety inspection?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

Same in Switzerland. Our inspection is probably as severe as in Germany. With the status "oldtimer", given by the authorities during a regular inspection, the visit is every 6 years.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Julien Abrahams

Well, I can't compare to German rules, but I think they are not ridiculous demands that they set. The only weird thing is, that if the car is from 1959 or older, you don't have to go through the technical inspection at all. If the car is 30 years or older (so in 2014 its build sometime between 1959 and 1974) the inspection is every two years. If the car is less than 30 years old, but more than 4 years old, it has to go through the inspecition every year. A brand new car has to go for its first inspection after 4 years being on the road.
The regulations are also a bit diferent for oldtimers. For example, if the car from before 1973, the emisions are not important. Also some other stuff (like a window washer) is not obligated.
Other than that they check (among other things) whether all lights work, all doors, trunk, and hood open and close properly. if the brakes are good, if there is not too much play in the front suspension and steering, wheel bearings, exhaust has to be gas tight from front to rear, no extreme leaks of oil, brake fluid, transmission or steering fluid (a drop of oil is still a pass). And the amount of rust is also something that is looked at. I don't know the specific details but there is a limit to how much rust a car can have.
That is in gerenal what they check.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett