News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'62 Convertible Top Installation

Started by 6262, July 26, 2014, 11:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have the problem, that neither my mechanic nor I have a clue how to install the convertible top - it's my first vintage American car.

I have a top but a manual wasn't included in the delivered package.

What contributes to the problem is that the old top went AWOL on the Autobahn when the car was trailered to my place.

I found a few picture series that give an idea that it isn't all that difficult to install.

Does anybody of you have one of those guides as PDF that help you to get through the installation?

I also need tack strips, a header bow and the like, what's the best place to get these parts?

Any help is appreciated, excuse me for asking a vague question, the task is a bit overwhelming and I don't know where to start at the moment.

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Nils,

Boy, what a problem.   Looks like you need a new pad as well.

Firstly, I would be contacting the top supplier and get them to send you their instruction manual, as you will need one.

I replaced the top on my '55 Chev Convertible way back in 1976, and I will see if I can locate the instruction Manual that came with that top.   

These days there are many internet search options on doing the job, but it is vitally important that the bows are set to the correct height, spacings etc as per the Shop Manual.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon