News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Towing a 1959 Cadillac

Started by 60eldo, July 29, 2014, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Just wondering if its OK to tow a 59 cadillac on a 7000lb. trailer using a half ton pick up. Some say I need a 3/4 ton,,,any thoughts?
Jon. Klu

TJ Hopland

How far?  What sort of terrain?   Traffic?   What age 1/2 ton?    That is likely within the official towing capacity of more recent half tons although often times if you start reading the fine print they call for things like weight distributing hitches which is often not practical. 

I used to tow a lot of crap with 1/2 tons and thought no problem and I was safe and under control.  My next truck was a 1 ton dually, now I am uncomfortable with 3500 pounds behind my 3/4 ton.    The 3/4 and up trucks are just better suited for towing for many reasons.   More overall mass and bigger brakes are among the most important.   The 1/2 tons can tow, a 3/4 ton is built to tow.   Towing heavy with a 1/2 ton is very hard on them especially things like brakes and transmissions.  One moderate mountain pass can do em in.   Can also do in a heavier truck too if done wrong but the heavier trucks just have a better chance.   Take a rig with a Duramax Allison combo and you can practically set the cruise control and go cross country.   

If you just have to go a modest distance on fairly flat ground with very little traffic one time then you should be alright.   If you are talking part way or all the way across the country I think I would look for a bigger truck.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

TJ is 1000 percent correct.

I towed a 1970 Dodge Charger on a trailer with an F-150 and on hills it was severely underpowered.  It was a fairly new truck at the time.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I'm still in the 90's with my trucks but I wonder what the newer 5, 6 and up speed transmissions do for ya?   It looked to me like with the 6 speed they added what we used to call a 'granny' gear at the bottom and a second overdrive at the top.   That could help you out with towing but still does not give you the mass and brakes that I think are the more important factors.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

SixDucks

My .02

I strongly suggest that you do not tow that much car and trailer with only a half ton truck. You shouldn't ever tow more total  weight than the weight of the tow vehicle itself unless it was originally designed to do so.
Many years ago I towed my '70 Buick Skylark convertible on a U-haul trailer with a 1/2 truck. The combined weight of the car and trailer owned the truck every foot I drove it.
In your case I highly doubt you have enough brakes to safely stop that much weight. I personally wouldn't attempt it with a 3/4 ton either.
When I went looking for a truck to tow with I wanted a truck that would haul my family, all the necessary tools, a full payload in the bed, and my '62 Fleetwood in 8'' of snow. I purchased a 1 ton crew cab 4 wheel drive dually. It is fully capable of meeting my criteria with ease.
If you are contemplating a purchase I wouldn't recommend a diesel unless you will tow with it regularly. I found it hard to justify the extra expense of a diesel fuel, additives to the fuel and keeping it plugged in during the cold months versus the increase in mileage or gains in torque.
Hope this helps.
Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

TJ Hopland

Not directly related to the original question but Terry, I'm just curious have you owned a diesel truck that size?  When talking about 1 ton duallys I usually do not hear many people in favor of gas.   The make and vintage of the diesel can have a lot to do with the overall operating costs so I could imagine if you actually did the math based on reading up on others experiences to get a handle on the maintenance aspects and were not planning on putting on the miles that maybe it would work out. 

The 2000's diesels are a lot like the 80's were for the gas engines.  Lots of band-aid attempts to meet emissions requirements and the move to electronic fuel injection (usually called common rail) which also had quite a learning curve.   The 90's was when performance and reliability started coming back to the gas engines and that appears to be where we are starting to get now with the diesels.   Mid 2000's the forums are full of of not very happy diesel owners.   

My diesel fleet is much older for the most part but I did buy a new 13 last fall.  From what I have read the basic drive train I have has been unchanged for a few years now and so far are looking to be pretty reliable.  Time will tell.   In the mean time have the fingers crossed that my 96 3/4 ton Burb has got a few miles left in it.  320k so far and all the major assemblies but the transfer case are original.  Its gonna be a close race between the mileage and the rust.  It will do over 25 mpg at 55 on the highway empty.   It does high teens towing about 5K on the highway.   My 97 Tahoe gas would only do high teens empty.   Done a few hauls with my dad's trucks, both 6.0 gassers and they actually have respectable power especially considering having a modest sized engine but economy is not a word I would use when it comes to fuel consumption.           
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

SixDucks

Quote from: SixDucks on August 01, 2014, 02:35:17 AM

If you are contemplating a purchase I wouldn't recommend a diesel unless you will tow with it regularly.

Hi TJ,
No problems validating the benefits of the diesel. I can't justify the additional expense for a diesel that will only see limited use.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Rod Dahlgren #19496

I bought a diesel crew cab dually last year. It replaced my GAS crew cab dually. I dont have a clue why I did not do it LONG AGO--

I HAVE towed Cadillacs with a 1/2 ton pckup. In FACT my first CADILLAC on trailer Vs. 1/2 ton pickup was a 62 Eldorado on my 2-axle trailer behind my 1957 Cameo with 265 and 3-speed trans. YES, you read it right... This did not have a happy ending, but I did EVENTUALLY get home.

Then I went out and bought my first crew cab dually. gas powered--- 400,000 miles later (most with trailer in tow) and 8-9 MPG (I usually am NOT conseravtive with the right foot) I had the use of a Duramax for 3 months. AMAZING!  Then was able to try a Dodge Cummins WOW--- is that REALLY 20mpg? Yep...

And talk about stable comfortable towing--  WOW--- NO WAY I will EVER go back to a little bitty pickup. AND-- I drive the Diesel EVERY DAY-- It is cheaper to drive it than my Suburban, Cadillac, Chevy or any of the other cars around here. (well, maybe my Trabant is cheaper to drive) and it does have a hitch on it------ hmm----
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?