News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac rims and tires

Started by Chad Oolman, July 29, 2014, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I have two questions pertaining to my 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special.

First off, the original steel rims are painted red, including the spare.  Is this a factory paint or did someone paint them in the past?  If it's not factory, what color should they be?

Secondly, I want to switch to radial tires.  Does anyone have some suggestions or experience that are willing to share?  I hope to maintain the original "look" of the car with wide white walls.  What is the correct orignal WWW width?

Jon S

Red rims are repaints.  1958 rims were a grey/beige color across the board.  There are many Radial WW threads on this Board.  I believe the factory WW width was 2 1/4".
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Chad Oolman

Thanks for your reply.  I was guessing the red was a repaint.

Ron Paz

Hi Chad,
Which tires did you put on eventually?
I have the same car, same model and use 235/75R15. Now need to change them and they are hard to find with WWW. I do have access to a nice set of 225/75R15 WWW Coker - do you or anyone can say if this slightly smaller tire has safetly issues? I learned that the speedometer will show about 10% higher speed than it should with the 235's, but other than that what's to consider?
Thanks
Ron
1958 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jon S

Ron -

Coker still produces the B. F. Goodrich Silvertowns in 235 75R 15.  I have them on my car and they look fantastic!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TJ Hopland

Weight capacity wise there tends not to be a huge difference between the 225 and 235 in regular passenger car tires plus 235 was never a real common size in a 75 15.  As you likely noticed looking a 75 series tire is getting harder to find even if you don't care about a whitewall these days.  Most cars tended to have a 205-225 when the 75 15 was popular.   If you go to a LT (light truck) tire you can get a higher rating and the 235 is still fairly common but they don't have the look and ride you want for a Caddy.   In the 80's a lot of the conversion vans ran on 225 passenger car tires.   Those things weighed significantly more than cars.    I think if you do the math the original tires sizes don't quite come out to match the metric sizes.   Several of the old sizes come out to a 230 which was never an option so you have to go up or down slightly if you are going with a metric tire.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

230 x 15 was indeed an option and they came standard on my 1973 Lincoln.  Still have the original Michelin X tires on that car.

As to 235 75 15, they are the most popular size tire Radial replacement on 1950's and 1960's Cadillacs and Lincolns.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT