News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Under carpet insulation

Started by waterzap, August 01, 2014, 01:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

I just put the rear seat back in my 78 Eldorado after the paint and rust fix someone did for me. However the insulation under the carpet is crumbling. If you touch it, it breaks off in pieces. I just put the pieces back, but I would like to replace it. This is not regular jute, its harder (reason for breaking off). So what do I do? What is the most economical way to replace this? The carpets are fine, I will reuse them. But if I could redo the insulation, would probably help with noise control
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

If you look at any of the classic car or hot rod stores / sites you will see several options.  Places like Jegs and Summit also have options.   Hushmat is a brand that comes to mind.   Most of the more modern stuff has the foil face so its not 'correct' but its fairly easy to get and install so if all you are after is function it seems like a good way to go.   Its on my to do list for a few of my cars so if you do it be sure to post back and let us know how it went.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

waterzap

Thank you. Will take some pics along the way
Leesburg, AL

Rob Troxel

I used "FatMat" which has an adhesive back and an aluminum type facing on the passenger compartment side. It is not very thick so you can add some jute or a fiber roll on top of that for the insulation benefits. Made a huge difference in the quietness inside.

hearn

Yes, while you're in there, use some good sound proofing.  You'll be glad you did.

russ austin

If your car finds itself completely gutted, use "lizard skin  Comes in a heat barrier, and a sound barrier. Both can be applied.  It comes in 1 gallon paint cans, and is sprayed on.
I did this to the 63 M&M Hearse I restored, and it was a quiet as the wifes 2005 Buick LaCross.  Works great.  I plan on using it in the 63 Superior hearse I am currently working on.
R.Austin