News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

wiper switch light and power window relay on 68 SDV

Started by Kell Oskarsson, August 03, 2014, 12:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kell Oskarsson

Hi all,

my ´68 is grounded for the time being due to a leaking radiator and other issues. Meanwhile I´m trying to fix a number of smaller things, among them having no illumination for the dashboard wiper switch.

I discovered that the wire with the bulb fitting was just hanging loose behind the dash, without a bulb. The wire has power (probed with a test light). However, I can´t get the bulb to stay put in the fitting (and it won´t light up - maybe the wiper switch casing acts as ground?). I also can´t figure out how the fitting is supposed to attach to the wiper switch casing. There is some sort of retaining ring (see attached picture) but the darn thing can´t stay assembled. Maybe there is a part missing.

I attach a picture of the fitting and another which shows the bulb and retaining ring. If anyone has experience with this kind of light fitting I would be very grateful.

Also found out that the control relay (third pic) for the power windows is faulty. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement without giving up an arm and a leg?

Many thanks in advance.

Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville
1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan

Scot Minesinger

On the light looks like one wire, so the metal back of switch that anchors the bulb holder must be ground.  The shop manual may show how it is anchored, you could be missing a minimal clip or something small.  Probably a 1968 owner who has handled this is going to have to respond, as I own a 1970 Cadillac.

On the relay part, try Cadillac Tim, Wellington CAD or USA Parts in WV USA (google them).

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Kell Oskarsson

Many thanks Scot, I´ll try emailing Cadillac Tim and see what he´s got.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

Kell Oskarsson

Hi all,

a brief update:

First, the good news. Cadillac Tim had both a replacement relay and a new socket for the wiper switch dash light available at a very reasonable price. I´ve hooked up the dash light and it works!

Now, the bad part: Still no power windows even with a new relay :( 

I can roll down all windows using the "emergency cut-out switch". However, nothing works when I switch the ignition on and want to roll down the windows the normal way. I had a friend check the replacement relay and he confirmed that it´s good. The center pin on the plug that attaches to the relay has power.

I´m kind of stumped.  Any ideas about what I should check next?

Many thanks in advance,

Kell.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

cadillactim

Kell

The small wire (blue?) at the relay is what energizes it. Then the power from the center terminal is transferred to the outer terminal (red or orange wire). This outer wire is what feeds the lockout switch and the driver switch. Make sure you have power at the small wire when the ignition is turned on, and also make sure the relay is grounded.

Also check for broken wires in the door hinge area. Sometimes wires will get broke and power can't get toe the switch.

Tim
Tim Groves

Kell Oskarsson

Tim,

many thanks for the tip - I´ll have a look tomorrow. BTW, how is the relay grounded?

Best regards,

Kell.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

cadillactim

It is grounded through the body of the car, where the screw attaches it to the kick panel.

Tim
Tim Groves

Julien Abrahams

Thoroughly check for broken wires at the door hinge rubber boot (where the wires go through). In mine, 6 of them were broken ;).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Rob Troxel

Top,

I'd bet broken wires on the door to body rubber conduit. I had 4 broken on my 68 Cad Eldo

tudor_47

emergencuy cut out switch bypasses the relay to enable rolling down windows with ignition off, atleast I think that is the way it was supposed to be.

so If it does not work in normal I think there is  problem wioth the power feed to the relay or the ground, if they are both OK, then it is control wires coming from the switch that is bad.  Does the windows of the other doors work individually?

Ihave attached the schematics for a 65 , it is probably similar to yours.

cadillacmike68

You can also have badly oxidized contacts; pull the driver's door master switch and clean every contact.

You haven't mentioned if the non-driver's windows work with their own switches. Obviously this will only be possible if the ignition is in on or acc.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Kell Oskarsson

All,

finally got around to visit the garage...I´ve checked the wire that is supposed to energize the window relay. No current when the ignition is on or in acc mode.

There is a 25A fuse for the relay and the antenna. I checked the fuse and it seemed OK. There was however no current at the fuse terminal either. I checked the other fuse terminals and found out that I also have no current for the A/C+heater blower, or the radio.

I haven´t looked at the wiring diagram in detail, but it doesn´t seem obvious to me that these failures are interrelated. At least it looks like I´m facing a more deep-seated electrical gremlin than I thought.

I should mention that none of the non-driver´s windows work on their own switches. All windows work in emergency mode from the master switch.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

cadillactim

Check the backside of the fusebox, perhaps one of the wires that plug into the fusebox has come off. Also check the fusible link a the starter which feeds part of the fusebox.

Tim
Tim Groves

35-709

Yes, the fusible link(s) were the first thing that occurred to me when reading reading Reply #11 above. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Kell Oskarsson

Tim,

thanks for the suggestion. I had starter troubles earlier so perhaps there is something amiss down there. I´ll get under the car and look.

I do have some of the ignition-on functions, such as backup lights, direction signals, windshield wipers, and gauges. And the car starts.

From the diagram it looks like a part of the fuse box gets its feed via a terminal on the ignition switch, so maybe that could be a possibility as well?

Many thanks to all of you for helping me out!

Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville