News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 hood latch

Started by MB49Caddy, August 03, 2014, 03:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB49Caddy

Ok, I have done all the non-wrench guy things I can do.
Situation: The hood won't close all the way

What I have done:
1) Adjusted the screw (with spring around it) on the hood itself...both all the way in and most of the way out. No fix.
2) Put some WD-40 on the latch receiving piece. It appears to be moving normally.

The manual latch piece is working fine, so the hood won't fly up on me, but it is bouncing up and down about two inches when I drive.

Somebody help me please.  >:(
Thanks,
MB
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Julien Abrahams

Is there one latch or two on the 49's? Do you have a shop manual, and what does it say? Do you know whether the hood has ever been off the car? How do you close the hood? I close mine by hand, and then most of the time gently let it go down until it rests on the latches (I have two; one on each side). Then I push on the top towards the front to completely close it. Do you actually hear it hit the latch? What happens if you close it and you let it "fall" under its own weight (when it's about ten inches from closing?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

MB49Caddy

It has one latch. The hood has been off the car but not for years and it has worked for a while. I have a manual but it doesn't say why it would work for 18 months and all of a sudden not work now...not trying to be sarcastic, just don't know how that would help me.

When I let it fall from 10 inches it still doesn't matter it still doesn't latch completely...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Julien Abrahams

Hmm.  I know what it is like when things just stop working for whatever reason. It can become frustrating. Maybe a stupid idea, but is the hood binding somewhere, for example at the cowl, or has one of the bolts come loose (for example from the springs)? I'm sure others on here with a '49 will pitch in.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

MB49Caddy

So I guess both of you guys are talking alignment ultimately, which I guess is the next step. The hood doesn't look out of sorts to me, but I suppose it could be out only a few cm and that could be doing it...I need another set of eyes to look at it with me. Next sunny day I will take it over a buddy of mine and have him look at it with me. If anyone else has any ideas I am all ears. Thanks for the input guys.

MB

Tito Sobrinho

MB:

I had this same problem 4 months ago!
I noticed that the cable would not return to the closed position. Go inside the car and push the button marked HOOD all the way in...it should close the hood.
My solution was to remove the latch, lubricate the pivot points and the entire cable. See also if the latch spring is not broken.
If you remove the latch, carefully mark all the original positions.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

MB49Caddy

Tito, will try soon...hope you are right - that would be awesome!!!

49caddyman

Matt:  I believe Tito has the answer.  I was going to suggest the same thing, but he beat me to it.  You can also pick up some black graphite at any hardware store, discconnect the cable from the hood latch plate, and "squirt" some graphite into the conduit that the cable slides in and out of.  Let me know if you solve the problem.  Joe Cutler

gary griffin

A common motorcycle cable lubricator should fix a stuck cable unless it is frayed which would mean it has to be replaced !!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Maltby 4194

Matt. Remove the latch after marking it on the rad shroud and attach it to the opened hood mech to see what's happening and try your hood spring adjustments from that point. 

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

MB49Caddy

Ok guys. I have adjusted the spring bolt from all the way in to all the way out and it still won't work. It isn't the cable as it appears to be working fine.

All I can come up with is that the latch that holds the piece that is going down into the hole is failing..I have been looking at it and can't figure anything except that the piece holding that spring loaded piece on the hood is failing and not holding the hood down. When I really push down hard on the hood it locks down for a little bit but as soon as I hit a bump it pops back up and is only being held in place by the safety latch.

Jeff, the part you displayed in your pictures that secures the spring loaded piece when it comes down through is more clearly "edged" than my piece. It is the part that gets pulled back when you pull on the hood latch release.

When I try to close the hood even with it screwed all the way out it just won't stay down in the receiving hole...what about the position of the entire assembly? The reason I don't think it is that is because it has been working completely fine until a few days ago, and I haven't even touched the car for a few weeks before now.

I think the cable is fine because it springs back fine but maybe it is just too worn out. Where can I find a replacement piece?

Thanks,
Matt B