News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1952 leaf springs : how many leaves ?

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, August 04, 2014, 12:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

Hello  :)

The (hoped) final step in dismantling my car is rear suspension and axle.
I had surprisingly little difficulty to remove shackle bolts and rubber bushings, which usually are a pain in the (neck) on old cars. Rubber bushings were covered with a thin shiny/metallic coat, maybe due to the use of graphite grease - I don't know if they used it on assembly at the factory. I will use it when reassembling new bushings, so that the next guy who will replace them in the 2080s won't curse me.

The shop manual reads (page 76, chapter 6-22, specifications) that 52-60S models have 8-leaf springs, except "heavy duty" 10-leaf spring suspension - which I can't find in the Master Parts List.

The lowest leaf of the springs bears #1457044, corresponding to "normal" 8-leaf springs (photo 1). The  "29 2 E" may mean "1952, 29th week, Friday" or "1952, may 29th" - who knows ?
BUT springs appear to have 11 leaves (photo 2) :o , which I counted several times.
The 7 lowest leaves (photo 3) are shorter in length than the spring.
Leave #8 is as long as the spring and ends below the eyes.
Leave #9 ends with spring eyes.
Leaves #10 and 11 look a bit different. I suspect they were added when the car was imported (then new) in France, or later : the bolts on the clamps retaining these leaves are of metric size and thread.

The question is, if I forget the 2 supposed-to-be-aftermarket leaves #10 and 11, it remains 9 leaves on each spring. Which one is the alien ?

PS (photo 4) doesn't she look ready to takeoff ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Warren Rauch #4286

I wouldn't worry about the number of leaves you have. The question I would be concerned with is the car setting at the proper height in the rear of the car. If the car carried heavy things in the trunk all the time (Example:my grandfather carried two steel ingots for better winter traction,yes even in summer) You should remove the extra leaves. But , if they were added because of an add on of air conditioning. Or just a sagging rear. You better leave the 11 or replace with new.Warren

Roger Zimmermann

The way the leaves # 10 & 11 are installed in not very efficient. I don't remember if your car was level or the too high at the back...and I don't know if the rear suspension was too stiff.
If you don't like those leaves, take them away. If then the car is sitting too low, you can add inflatable rear shock absorbers.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks for your input.

The car looks low, front and rear, and it has been so since I own it. It feels comfortable, though, not up to a recent car but more like a 1990s light-duty truck once loaded.

My purpose is to remove the two extra leaves on top and have these springs re-bent (I don't know if it is the exact term, truck shops do it). I was wondering which other extra leaf I should remove so that 8 remain as it is supposed to be.
From my parts book, these leaf springs are the same on all 1950-53 (1950 from engine #33469) Fleetwood sedans and convertibles, so any owner of an original one may help.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest assistance you can do to your springs is disassemble the stack, totally clean out and off all the accumulated rust, grime and crud, and reassemble the stack as it was originally built.

Some have nylon buttons on the end of each leaf, and others could simply be greased.

This allows the spring to actually work as a spring, and not bind up and be like a soild mass.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on August 08, 2014, 07:14:15 AMSome have nylon buttons on the end of each leaf, and others could simply be greased.
On Cadillacs of that era, leaves were separated by liners, made of leather or waxed/rubberized cloth - I can't determine that.
This prevented two adjacent leaves from what you describe - freezing together with rust. Plus, the lower leaf tip will not rub against the upper leaf flat, the metal-to-metal friction leading to upper leaf wear and eventually break.

These liners are clearly visible on photo 3, on tips of leaves #4 to 7. Although very dirty, they seem to be in good functioning condition.