News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 DeVille - Bypass or plug heater hoses?

Started by mgbeda, August 04, 2014, 03:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

I'm hoping to start Bessie's rebuilt engine soon.  I'm installing the radiator and cooling system, but I don't want to install the heater core at this point because I'm still stripping the body and don't want anything attaching the body to the engine.

What's better, to fashion a bypass pipe to let water flow out the rear heater outlet and then back into the radiator, or just plug off that back outlet and the radiator inlet?

I think more water flow is better, but then I think when the heater is off, the heater valve shuts off that flow path anyway, right?  And of course plugging things is easier.

Opinions?

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

TJ Hopland

Personally I think I would do the bypass thing but it really should not matter.   The water control valve is only closed in 'max ac' mode so most of the time its open.   Since its closed during max ac that should be the most demanding for cooling and apparently it still worked so maybe plugging will be fine too.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty