News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can someone help with how to remove a pice of trim from a 1959 6 window sedan?

Started by Sean Roe, August 04, 2014, 09:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Roe

Hi Everyone,
A friend of mine is restoring a 1959 6 window sedan and hasn't been able to figure out how to remove a piece of trim.
He's removed the nut from the stud under the rear of the trim and has popped the clips (as he described it) that are holding the outer portion of the trim, but he can't seem to make it come up / move at the quarter window.
Any input would be appreciated.

Picture of part in question below:

Sean Roe

David Greenburg

Has he slid the fin-top trim rearward to release the rear end of the trim piece?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Sean Roe

Yes, the fin top trim has been removed (and all the other trim).
He said that he removed everything he could get to for that trim, but it's not budging and seems to be held closer to the 1/4 window.
I wonder if the window needs to come out?

David Greenburg

I hope not, although on a two door, you do remove the rear quarter window to access some of the screws. Have you looked in the shop manual?  I recently removed this trim on my two door, and the hardest part was getting to the studs where it joins the rear window trim. It may be that if you get in the trunk and shine a light up in the cavity you will see a stud or clip you missed. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Grant Owen

Remove the lower stop from the window , lower window as far as you can should be able to access the Philips head screws that are attached trough the window scrapper (Fuzzies).

David Greenburg

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I’m working from memory, so a little slack please. Secondly, you’re not going to like this: the screws holding that piece in place are behind the quarter glass which has to be removed.
1.   Remove seat cushion and seat back
2.   Remove the rear window side, and quarter window upper interior garnish moldings
3.   Remove the triangular upholstery panel just below quarter window
4.   Remove the screws holding the glass/rubber retaining channels around the glass
5.   Use a putty knife to loosen the sealer/putty  between the rubber channel and body. There's a chrome garnish trim at the front edge of the quarter glass. I believe, but I’m not certain, that this piece does not have to be removed.
6.   From the outside, carefully push the loosened glass and gasket toward the inside of the car. Obviously, hold onto the glass.
7.   The screws holding the subject chrome piece in place should be along the lower edge of where the quarter window was just removed. The chrome piece is screwed to the outer quarter panel from the inside return edge
8.   I'm not certain but the rear top edge of the chrome trim on the fin may have  to be removed.
9.   With gentle wiggling the piece in question can now be removed.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

76eldo

Grant

There's a lot of trim on the greenhouse area on my 60
Seville I will be removing soon.  If you have any suggestions please email me at Rachlin @comcast.net.  It looks very difficult to do with no prior info and I don't want to make any errors and bend or ding anything.

Thanks

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Sean Roe

Thanks Guys.
We're going to follow the step by step process Ralph created and I'll report back.