News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

64' rebuild not starting

Started by Tlentz, August 05, 2014, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tlentz

Hey Guys, Fresh rebuild, I have spark, and fuel, getting an occasional back fire out of the carb but will not start.  Ive checked firing order and clockwise, I put the old points back in to see if that was it.  Only thing I dont have is a new coil.  Bit Ill grab one today.  Any advice????  Im stuck.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

joeceretti

Choke closed? Coughing in the carb is caused by other things but commonly too lean a mixture. Have you poured a bit of gas in the carb to see if it will start that way? Certainly not lean when you do that.

Have a fire extinguisher handy.

SixDucks

Verify that the distributor is not 180 out.
Advance the timing until it cranks hard then back it off a little. Don't forget to follow the cam break in procedure.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Tlentz

Its getting plenty of fuel, I can see it spray.  And Ive already had the fire in card.  When I open up the throttle when cranking it coughs and spews.  Ill check the distributor again.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
5 Crazy Kids

Julien Abrahams

x2 on the distributor being 180 degrees out.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tlentz

what do you mean x3?  Sorry if thats a stupid question.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
5 Crazy Kids

joeceretti

Third person to agree on the distributor being 180 out

Tlentz

and you all three were right...
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
5 Crazy Kids

Tlentz

Took the overflow hose off of the radiator, it fit snug in the 1 plug hole, put it to my ear and bumped it.  Sure enough, 180 out.  Another victim.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
5 Crazy Kids

joeceretti

Julien Abrahams

I like to be right! hahahah LOL. Luckily it was an easy fix :). How does she run now, purring like a kitten?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Tlentz

I wish I could say she was...Still running a bit rough, might need a carb rebuild.   I have a Edelbrock carb installed that was on it when I bought it, but I recently found out about blocking the center exhaust ports to the intake.  So I hope that is a reason shes overheating.  Then to top it off the starter went.  So this weekend is going to be busy.    Im a little disappointing also in myself for allowing the exhaust guy to talk me into 40 series flowmasters, when I wanted 50 series, so its FREEKIN hotrod loud.  Fun but loud.  With the "upgraded" cam it sounds like a dragster.  Ill keep you posted.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
5 Crazy Kids

Julien Abrahams

OK, that's a bummer that the starter went out. It can become a bit frustrating. I was thinking, as you say you put in a new cam, is it not possible that this causes it to run a bit rough? Also check for vacuum leaks somewhere. They can also cause rough running (including the PCV valve). I am really not into exhaust systems, so I don't know the difference between a 40 series or a 50 series. For me, a loud exhaust doesn't really suit a Cadillac, but that is my personal opinion. I think that the factory went through a lot of effort to get them as quiet as possible. :D.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Tlentz

hahah! Julien, I agree with you ten fold about the exhaust, BUT, the kid in me cant help experiment with the big block sound of the 429.  My car is not a show car nor am I "slamming" it to the ground.  I just wanted to play with a little more performance.  The cam definitely made it idle differently.  Come to find out, the carb was changed before I bought the car, which I new, what I didnt know about was the choke tubes and exhaust ports that flow to and through the intake manifold.  The Edelbrock carb didnt like that at all.  Im blocking the exaust ports, square boring the intake manifold and purchasing an Edelbrock 650 carb.  I know that all the purists will cringe but the original motor was blown last year, so Im playing with this one as its not original anyway.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
5 Crazy Kids