News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Continental Kit Questions for a 78' Coupe DeVille?

Started by SpaceShipKing, August 05, 2014, 11:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceShipKing

I recently purchased a 78' Coupe DeVille this summer and I was thinking of installing a continental kit on it, but I have a few questions however.

For anybody familiar with the continental kits please let me know for the following;

Do they have some sort of lever on them or way to angle them backwards to access the trunk and fuel?

Also I'm aware the 78' Coupe DeVille did not come with a continental kit from factory, but does anybody have experience with installing and bolting up one?

Best Regards!  8)
Pereira J.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I made my own, for my '72 Convertible, using a Space-saver Spare, and boy, it made a difference to the carrying capacity of my trunk.

The reason I used the Space-saver is simply because a full sized tyre would sit way too high, allowing sufficient room for ground clearance, and look out of place.

The full-size tyres are okay for the '50's cars, because they are reasonably tall at the back.

I also made my own operating mechanism.

I have yet to manufacture the cover, as a recent illness has slowed me down, but I cut up a damaged cap to fill the void.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I have dozens more pictures of the build-up stage if you want to contact me directly.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

I forgot to mention that the reason I made the tyre swing out was to make it impossible to steal without opening the trunk, and swinging it out of the way.

Also, the wheel must be removed before inflating, and with it in place, it is impossible for any smart alec to access the valve to inflate it.

Plus, with the tyre in place, and closed up, it is held down by the closure of the trunk.   And the trunk cannot be closed with the tyre out of its' place.

Lastly, the electric tyre pump is enclosed in a watertight metal box in the rim hollow, along with the jack base and bumper lifting bracket.   This leaves the jack lifting shaft, and wheel brace inside the trunk.   Using the wheel brace allows the removal of the jack base and bumper lifting bracket as I used the same sized nuts to hold them in place.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Also, the reason I did not cut up the original bumper and move the centre section rearwards was because of the shape of it, and it would have left a void under the trunk lid which is contoured to suit the bumper.

I used a much modified Bumper Bar from a completely different make of vehicle, and sculptured that to fit, and I think it follows the original intent of design nicely.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

SpaceShipKing

I personally don't like the look, I'm sorry to say my friend. I want it to look authentic, with the cover! That doesn't look appealing to a 60's or 70's Cadillac, no offense. I have found a kit however for my 78' Coupe DeVille but its $1299 new, I found a used one for $350 but its 2 hours away so I'll probably just make the trip!

I hope you're planning on making the cover soon, because honestly it would look better but it's looking good.

8)
Pereira J.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The cover will be made as soon as I get my health back, and with the Western Cyclone II rim replacing the original rim and cap, it will have the look of class.

I did try a full-sized wheel when I was designing it, but the top of the tyre was so high up in the air, I would have required a reversing camera to see behind me via the screen-mounted read vision mirror.

I tried to locate one of those dummy continental kits that are used ojn the '80's Eldorados, to use that cover, but couldn't find any, and the freight cost to me here in the Southern Hemisphere is pretty steep.

PS.   I realise it isn't for everyone's taste, but this is the third one I have made since my first attempt in 1968.   I just don't like the ones where the whole bumper is moved rearwards, and infill panels are made to spoil the side lines of the vehicles.   The '55 Chev was done in 1976, using an extra '55 Chev Bumper Bar I had, plus a '36 Ford tread cover.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I worked at a gas station as a kid and remember a guy with a Caddy that would come in and have me pump his gas.  He was a real jerk (It's been 30+ years and I still remember that clown).  There was a lever to pull to allow the kit to drop down.  Also, I think he could also unlock it by hitting the electric trunk release.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

That is why I made the addition to the fuel filler.   But, I always fill up my own cars, even when I was in New Jersey in 2008.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe