News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado and others Tail Light Fix

Started by waterzap, August 07, 2014, 10:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

One of the issues I was having is that the connector in the back of my Eldorado was getting loose. Anyone with those 70’s cars will recognize the connectors. The thing is, the wires get too tight in the plastic, or the plastic breaks apart. I found a solution. I bought a “universal connector” on ebay.
JT&T 2593F Universal Double Contact Socket - Turn, Park, Stop, & Tail
Replaces Ford #D0AZ-13410B, D1AZ-13410B, D2OZ-13410A

All I had to do was remove the old socket, cut the wires.

Then I just cut out the internal parts of the new unit, together with the spring. Put that in my tail light, and worked perfectly. Just make sure the orientaion and wires are correct. I would not hesitate in doing the same with my other rear lights. Maybe get some big heat shrink tubing instead of the tape.
The black shadow in the one pic is the kitty that decided to also inspect the unit and of course decided that the wires are more tasty than the snacks I gave him.
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

Waldo,

Yep.  I've done that before on light sockets, both single-contact and dual.  Nice save!!
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873