News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Throttle linkage,

Started by Christopher Petti, August 07, 2014, 01:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Petti

Hi,
  I am reassembling my 56 Cadillac Engine bay(365 ci) and have some pics of my engine before it was taken apart. I lost my phone which had almost all my pics before tear down. I am trying to figure out the correct position of the Spark plug wire loom bracket that is bolted on at the coil. I also need to see how the throttle linkage that is attached to the firewall should look. In my reassembly the spark plug wire loom bracket is in the way of my throttle rod. If anyone could send me a pic of their engine bay I would appreciate it. I have surfed the internet and I find so many different configurations I don't know what to reference. So if someone with a correct setup on their 1956 365 single Carter carb Cadillac could send me a photo so that I can correct all the wrongs of the previous owner I would greatly appreciate it. At this time the Throttle dash pot that is bolted to the firewall and connected to the carburetor "throttle rod" has been bent really badly to function. and it functioned before but I want to make it appear and function freely. At this point I have a bent tang where the throttle rod goes through the rubber fitting on the Vacuum Throttle pot arm and hits the vacuum diaphram when it goes forward and back. It was rigged to work I would like to see what it should look like. If anyone can help me with some photos or explanation that would be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks,

Chris
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

Roger Zimmermann

Hi Chris: here are some pictures from my '56. Not easy to do when everything is installed; I hope you car get the info you are looking for.
I'm not especially proud from my yellow spark plug wires; as long as they go well, I don't replace them!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Christopher Petti

Roger,
  Thank you so much! yes, these help. I have a different spark plug loom bracket. What my concern with the Throttle pot was how much clearance to you have for the swing arm as it goes past the vacuum diaphram on the Throttle Pot (firewall)? the Throttle Rod that goes through the Throttle pot arm was hitting the vacuum diaghram edge. I'll post some pics so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for the reply Roger but it looks like your set up is a little different than mine. My issue is this Bracket that hold the spark plug wires. It's in the way of the throttle rod going to the carburator. perhaps I have the wrong bracket? My bracket angles up isn't perfectly horizontal like yours.

Chris
And uses too much gas
And one car that will do

Roger Zimmermann

The distance? I don't care as the adjusted screw is that far in that the device does not function as intended. I never came to the point the engine died when I released the gas pedal, but it can die: during that latest mandatory technical control, the engine died twice when the examinator was at the wheel.
The was to adjust it is try, adjust, try, and adjust until you get what you would like to have.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Christopher Petti

Ok, i was looking at your throttle pot and it doesn't have a spring. Mine didnt have one either but I went into the shop manuel and saw that it has a spring in the illustration. Is the reason that the spring is missing becuse the vacuum controls the throttle and keeps it from stalling? Should I remove the throttle spring I put on it? I have a feeling the spring is going to cause stalling issues because it has a lot of tension. I'm just trying to set it up naturally the way it should be. I have not adjusted my Throttle pot screw at all. Before I took teh engine apart it drove well in the postiion that it is in. I'll post some pics of the throttle so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks again for your help! Thank God it's the weekend, Garage time!
And uses too much gas
And one car that will do

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Christopher Petti on August 08, 2014, 02:55:08 PM
Ok, i was looking at your throttle pot and it doesn't have a spring.
You have to be cautious with the wording. In fact I'm not sure of what you are speaking, but I suppose you are meaning the throttle relay. Yes, it should have a spring; I never had one, my '56 Biarritz has no spring either. I like to be as correct as possible, but things which I see no real purpose don't bother me.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Christopher Petti

Sorry, People call it a Throttle Pot online. I think it's the Throttle positioning mechanism. I guess I should have consulted the manual.
And uses too much gas
And one car that will do