News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 Coupe DeVille power window question....

Started by dino, August 08, 2014, 06:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino

Working on a 1954 coupe. Drivers window and passenger side rear window are working.  Drivers rear and passenger front windows NOTHING, from either the main switch or the individual switches. Looking for some recommendations on where to start. I would say start with the main switch but I don't want to start taking things apart that  might not be the real problem. If two windows are working I assume the fuse is good. Question, is there more than one fuse that is related to the operation of the windows ? Your thoughts....
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

Julien Abrahams

With regard to the fuses: become good friends with your electrical scheme and a multimeter or even a simple voltage tester. :).  Is the car 6 or 12 V? Are these power windows "normal" in the sense electric motors? Or is this the Hydrolectric system?
If they are "normal"electric power windows, I would start by simply checking the wiring. In my '67, only the driver side front worked from the drivers control panel, the rest was dead. Turned out that the 6(!) out of the 8 wires were simply broken due to opening and closing the drivers side front door for over 40 years :).
I would assume that there is one major power feed for all windows, but I'm not familiar with the '54. Check in the scheme which wires should have current, and check with your voltage tester is this is actually the case. Also check if the current is actually reaching the motors. You can always jump the motors by hand by using a jumper cable. I believe they are grounded through the door itself.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

dino

I need 2 power window motors for a 1954 Coupe De ville.  One is for the DRIVERS side rear window.  One is for the PASSENGER side front window.
I would also like recommendations from anyone who has had these motors rebuilt/refurbished. Name of company and approximate cost. 
Please write me at   teebird1962@cox.net.  If possible send a picture or two.     Thanks,  Dino
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

Philippe M. Ruel

These motors are "ordinary" motors (first year they dropped the hydro-lectric labyrinthine system), and they operate on 12V.

Window motors usually don't use fuses but circuit breakers. From the wiring diagram you will know if there is one circuit breaker for all motors, or one per motor. And maybe replace circuit breakers instead of complete motors.
1952 60 Special in France.

dino

The motors are out of the car. They need to be rebuilt or replaced.
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

dino

D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP