News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Popular Mechanic disrespects the 1959 Cadillac

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 08, 2014, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Not only  the 59  but the 59 Biarritz . What were they thinking ? One of the best cars in my opinion . Do they know what this car stands for and Represents ? where are we headed ? They have the nerve to write this ....

With its monstrous tail fins, massive chrome bumpers, and ridiculous dimensions, the '59 Eldorado convertible is for many the ultimate Cadillac. But it takes an ironic eye to call the '59 Cadillacs great. In reality they were blundering, overweight, bizarrely styled, and insanely inefficient. Terrible by any rational measure of what a car should be. That said, it's an awful car that's easy to love. After all, its looks are iconic symbols of a confident American car industry that celebrated excess for the sheer joy of excess. Sometimes, after all, lousy is exactly what a Cadillac should be.

Bill
check out the following linc

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/12-cars-that-define-cadillac-at-age-110-.html

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I think this article had been discussed here recently.

At any rate, it's obvious that PM just doesn't get it - at least as far as 1959 Cadillacs are concerned.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

INTMD8

Have to wonder if the author has ever driven one???

The Tassie Devil(le)

One has to remember that not everyone likes what the rest like.

That is why people buy so many different brands, makes and models.

Yes, the '59 may well be described that way, but those were the times, and people did buy them, and other brands that were less in size and cost.

But, which cars get the most looks when parked, or moving?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jeremy9146

The comments about the 1959 Eldorado bring to mind the saying "There are more horses asses in this world then they're horses".  :D

Jeremy Weiss
Jeremy Weiss Bridgewater, NJ
Current collection of Cadillac’s
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

wrefakis

could it be   THE TRUTH!

carb fires
bad air ride

insta-rust

no interior room

and I love them

but--- true love is blind

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I didn't even know that Popular Mechanics was still being published. Evidently, the only way they can get noticed is by printing snarky articles like this.

quadfins

Applying modern standards to 50+ year old technology.

That 747 I flew in last April was quite a bit more comfortable than the China Clipper that my neighbor rode in 1940. Should we condemn that, too???

No sense of history...

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

jaxops

Quote from: quadfins on August 12, 2014, 08:54:17 PM
Applying modern standards to 50+ year old technology.
That 747 I flew in last April was quite a bit more comfortable than the China Clipper that my neighbor rode in 1940. Should we condemn that, too???
No sense of history...
Jim

Quite so!!
The 1959 Cadillac was the MOST outlandish use of fins, although followed by Chrysler "fin-mania" and other GMs.  I always appreciated the styling and "rocket" look of the 1959's.  Today, with almost every car looking exactly the same ("designed in a wind tunnel not by a style designer" as was said by a fellow car guy Saturday) the 1959 stands out as outlandish, rocket-styled", but also demonstrating the confidence and imagination of American designers and engineers in Post-WWII America.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Not all individuals appreciate what the '59 Cadillac is (or was) all about - certainly less so the more technically oriented types. 

Happily however, some pockets of vintage car ownership/appreciation exist within the editorial staff of such publications - such as David E Davis (1949 Cadillac Series 62), deceased; Don Sherman (1960 Series 62 Convertible) and John Phillips (1962 Eldorado Biarritz) to name a few.

There are few neutrals on the 1959 model. You either love it or loathe it - which probably bodes much better for collectability than a design that produces little reaction at all. 

g27g28

Eric
You mentioned this article was discussed in another forum.  Do you have the link?  I searched and couldn't find it.  I have owned 2 that are listed on the inferior 5 and would like to see what was said about those. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Quote from: g27g28 on August 13, 2014, 09:20:15 AM
Eric
You mentioned this article was discussed in another forum.  Do you have the link?  I searched and couldn't find it.  I have owned 2 that are listed on the inferior 5 and would like to see what was said about those.

Spent a lot of time digging this out.

You owe me one. ;D

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=126068.msg240204#msg240204

Bill Balkie began that thread too.

g27g28

1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Odin

Maybe the PM author is just jealous that he never owned a Cadillac?

L. Odin

Aaron Hudacky

It seems like bashing large Cadillacs has been a popular pastime of automotive writers for several decades.  I like to read reviews of 60's and 70's Cadillacs that were published when the cars were new, and between 1968 and 1972 there was a pronounced journalistic change in opinion towards large American luxury cars.  In 1968, reviews seemed to say almost all was good and nothing was wrong with contemporary Cadillacs, but by 1972, writers were questioning why they were the way they were, and the OPEC embargo was still a year ahead.  I think the introduction of the BMW 2002, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 and other higher-priced European cars made it trendy within the magazine industry to bash traditional American luxury cars.  That's ok with me... sales numbers in those years showed that Cadillac gave consumers what they wanted, and someday when most cars are self-driving, aerodynamic safety cages (I guess they already are the latter), the 59 Cadillac will still be a thing of beauty to many and visually interesting to all.   
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Quote from: Aaron Hudacky on August 18, 2014, 12:09:38 PM
It seems like bashing large Cadillacs has been a popular pastime of automotive writers for several decades.  I like to read reviews of 60's and 70's Cadillacs that were published when the cars were new, and between 1968 and 1972 there was a pronounced journalistic change in opinion towards large American luxury cars.  In 1968, reviews seemed to say almost all was good and nothing was wrong with contemporary Cadillacs, but by 1972, writers were questioning why they were the way they were, and the OPEC embargo was still a year ahead.  I think the introduction of the BMW 2002, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 and other higher-priced European cars made it trendy within the magazine industry to bash traditional American luxury cars.  That's ok with me... sales numbers in those years showed that Cadillac gave consumers what they wanted, and someday when most cars are self-driving, aerodynamic safety cages (I guess they already are the latter), the 59 Cadillac will still be a thing of beauty to many and visually interesting to all.   

It is The Penalty of Leadership.