News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 60S difficult crank starting

Started by Bob Martin, August 11, 2014, 05:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Martin

New battery, posts cleaned, but cranking turnover is slow. Runs great when started.
Any ideas on best approach to crank it faster, or try different ignition devices?
Did hear about solid state ignition things, but also was told not the best thing to install.
Thanks,
Bob Martin
Bob Martin
CLC # 28309
1938 60S, #6273078

Steve Passmore

No amount of changes to your ignition system will make it crank faster, you already said it runs great when running.   It has been said many times before here  about checking all your battery cable sizes so I guess that would be the first step, check also the connections to engine and ground, after that you probably have to look to the starter.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

6 volt battery cables should be made from 00 welding cable. If you are using the small battery cables found at your local auto parts store, get rid of them. Positive ground car so clean the area where the positive ground cable is attached to the frame. Also from that same point run a short 00 cable and ground that cable to one of your starter bolts. With the proper ground and larger battery cables, your cranking speed will improve. Bill

Bob Martin

Thanks, Will do that check this eve!
Bob Martin
Bob Martin
CLC # 28309
1938 60S, #6273078

Jay Friedman

In addition to what Bill recommends, I suggest you follow Doug Houston's prescription for this problem and run an additional ground strap to the starter's commutator end plate (the plate at the end of the starter that doesn't go into the motor).  To do this remove the end plate, drill a 3/8 inch hole into it at a convenient place, install a 3/8 inch stainless steel bolt 1¼ or 1½ inches long so that it sticks out of the end plate and run a ground strap to this bolt from the bolt that the ground strap from the battery is attached to.  (This could be a 12 inch strap purchased at an auto parts store.)  The new grounding bolt will need a lock washer and a lock nut as well as a 2nd nut and lock washer to hold on the ground strap. 

As Doug wrote, "Grounding the battery at this point on the starter puts the battery connection as close as possible to the place where the starter motor is grounded".

I did this to my 6 volt '49's starter, as did a friend to his, and they both perform as if the cars' have 12 volt systems.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

joeceretti

To repeat, you need to make sure your grounds are clean. Your cables are heavy enough for the current. Your charging system is keeping your battery voltage up. Your battery has the correct specific gravity with no shorted cells.

This is how my 1938 60S starts with 100% correct wiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTnp1BiN7A

You can email me directly for help with that if you like.