News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Series 62 Coupe, Radio, No Antenna; Two "Antenna Holes" in Cowl

Started by ebuliavac, August 12, 2014, 03:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebuliavac

I'm looking at rebuilding the radio on my 1940 Series 62 Coupe.  I have no antenna.  There are two holes in the cowl, one in the correct location, the other on the right.  I did pull a Motorola 504 out of the car, and the factory radio is still in the dash.  Why two "antenna holes?"   Did they do that at the factory?  Perhaps a previous owner put the hole there and had the two radios on different antennae? 

Besides that mystery, there is the issue of no current antenna for the car.  I have seen some '41 vacuum antennae for sale, but I have a '40.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to use the correct antenna but would settle for a modern one while I am looking, however, there is the issue of capacitance, and the fact that my radio, once restored, will probably not play with just any antenna.

Thanks so much in advance.

Ed Buliavac
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Jeff Hansen

Ed,

When you say the second hole is "to the right", are you referring to the right of the correct hole or to the right as in the opposite side of the cowl?  I can't imagine why there would be two holes unless a previous owner did the job.

Should you find an antenna for sale, there were two types used: one for fender amount and one for cowl mount.  The cowl mount antenna has a smaller diameter tube and is also not as tall as the fender mount antenna.  Its an overall smaller unit.  No way would the fender mount antenna fit in the cowl.

I can't comment on using a modern antenna due to the fact I'm electrically challenged.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

ebuliavac

Thanks Jeff.  The extra hole is on the right side of the cowl, not immediately to the right of the correct hole.  I guess it will remain a mystery. 
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham