News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Condition of Cadillac Related to GN Scoring?

Started by jdemerson, August 12, 2014, 07:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

Is there a way to approximately translate a judges' rating of a 50s Cadillac at the GN into a condition rating on the scale 5, 4, 3, 2, 1?  If a car rated, say, 92 at the GN, would that be a 3 or a 2?  Does anyone have approximate guidelines for this?  What does it take to be considered a 1 instead of a 2?  Does such translation depend in any way on year of car (e.g., 50s vs. 80s)?

If anyone has a reference to a discussion in this area, that would be welcomed.

Thanks.
John Emerson CLC #26790
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Generally speaking, a #1 is defined as a 95+ point show car that is not driven and must be stored in a climate controlled area.

Unfortunately there is no definitive standard of what constitutes x points as it may vary widely from one judging methodology to another, one car club to another, etc  so there's really no simple answer to the question. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jdemerson

Thank you Eric.

My question is specifically about scoring used at the CLC Grand National, and roughly how that relates to the five-point system.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Dan LeBlanc

I think Eric pretty much hit the nail on the head.  There is so much variance in judging across clubs that one could not correctly make the correlation.

What is acceptable at AACA may not be acceptable to the CLC and vice versa.  I've seen # 1 cars score firsts in Junior at AACA as well as #3/2+ cars.  Same with CLC.  It all depends on who shows up at the show and who you're competing against.  Can't really translate that into a condition scale as there is too much variance there.

Let's take my 61 Fleetwood as an example.  It is an unrestored, original car.  It has won a first Junior at Hershey, first place primary at the CLC GN, and is a recipient of the Past Presidents' Preservation award.  Point wise, it's a 90-93 point car at CLC, is at least 365 at AACA, but condition wise, is a #2/2+ car.  Add in the premium for originality, and value-wise, it's in there with a #1 car.

So, everything is subjective as to who is evaluating the car, who the competitors are, etc, etc. 

Can really translate something so abstract into something so absolute.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car