News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Trunk Support Rod, And Electric Seat Wiring

Started by Coupe Deville, August 13, 2014, 03:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. well I was working in the trunk of my 57 sedan today and I needed better access the the bottom of the interior deck lid and these two parallel rods where in the way. I figured I would just remove them from their slots. Little did I know one of the rods was holding up half of the trunk deck lid's weight. I quickly found out when the deck lid came falling down and almost squashing me. Now Im not sure how to put the hole back in its notch because it is under great force. Is there some sort of release to reset it? I can not pull it by hand. Incase I did not explain my self good enough I will include a picture below. My second question is there are these two square boxes on the worm drive for the electric seats. One has a wire running from the box, to the wiring harness, and the other has just a wire hanging down not going to anything. What is the purpose of these boxes and where does that wire go? I pulled out the seat to do some work and the wires might have gotten messed up. But who ever had the car before me did not know what they were doing with the wiring. Twisted together, taped together, ect. So when I started to remove the seat the wires all sort of came apart. I figured them all out except this one. Any ideas?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly, with the trunk torsion bar, you have to seat the pivot point under the forward hook, and then spring the end up and over the rear hooks.

This is best handled with a piece of thick-wall tubing, about a foot long, with at least a 7/16" hole in it.   Slip the tub over the end of the torsion bar, about 1" in, and then use the length of the bar to lift it up into place.

The different hooks allow for a different tension to hold the trunk lid up.

Works every time.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Coupedeville

Hello Gavin,

Exactly as Bruce said re the torsion bars. that's how I repositioned mine when the boot (trunk) would no longer stay in the open position.

If you don't get any answer today re the wire, I will check mine tonight and let you know.

Joe
Joe Hunt

J. Gomez

Gavin,

You need to look at the Repair Manual for the instructions on placing the rods back. On the ’56 (I would imagine the ’57 would be identical) you need a metal pipe to place the rods back in the retaining notch. Picture attached from the ’56 manual.

As for the 6-way seat those are the solenoids and when these are engaged will move the seats in up/down front, up/down rear, fore and aft. A wiring diagram is attached that would help you.

Good luck..!   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Coupe Deville

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Got the trunk to stay up now. I cut up a pipe I had lying around and it worked great. I also got the seat fixed. That diagram is worth a thousand words. Got all of the solinoids all wired correctly and they work, but they are intermittent. But it is all correct. Thanks again.

-Gavin 
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"