News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Started by waterzap, August 13, 2014, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/4519282857.html

Can anyone tell me anything about these cars? Is that price reasonable?
How easy / difficult is it to get parts? Like the lights in the back? Does that engine look original (ish)?

Friend of mine was looking at this car. I personally like the 60's and some 70's cars, but he likes the 30's and 40's stuff. All good.
Leesburg, AL

Caddy Wizard

1949 S62 sedans are very good cars.  That particular one is a tough task, though.  First of all, someone put a Chevy small block engine in it, I think.  Trying to make it original again will be a tall order.  Secondly, the car has a Hydro-Electric system to power the windows and seat.  The H-E power system is trouble to get working and leak-free.  Most potential buyers will shy away from a sedan with that system.  It was standard on the convertibles, coupe de villes, and Fleetwoods.  But it was a rare option on the S62 sedans.

There are better values out there in a 49 62 sedan if you are so inclined.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jay Friedman

Stay away from this car, as it will need lots of work to normalize it, particularly getting rid of the Chev engine.  Also, one of the fog lamps is missing and there are no hub caps.  $3900 is a very low price, so there must be something wrong with it that is not mentioned.  You'd probably have to spend 2 or 3 times that amount, but in return you'd get a good '49 Sedan with its original overhead valve V8 engine and, as Art Gardner mentioned, with crank up windows which are trouble-free.  The Series 62 4-door was the most common body style that year, so there are many good ones that come up for sale.  And I disagree with 49er (the other Art), in that aside from some of the chrome side trim, most '49 Cadillac parts are readily available.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

waterzap

Thanks guys. I will pass on the comments
Leesburg, AL