News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59-62 heater core gasket

Started by russ austin, August 19, 2014, 03:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ austin

'm working on a 59-62 heater core, and its the type that has the heater valve bolted to it. I'm looking for the gasket that goes in between the core and valve body.  I found one at a buick site, but they want 9.00 plus 10.00 in shipping.  Their picture of it is poor quality, and you cant make out much of it.
A rebuilder of heater valves informed me to just use an O-ring.  I found a sized O-ring, but just want to get some info/feedback on the subject.
R.Austin

59-in-pieces

Russ,
Can only speak to 59's.
I have only used an "O" ring when attaching a heater control valve to the heater core using the 3 screws (see photos).
I don't think I have ever seen a gasket between the 2 parts.
Another little detail you might want to be aware of, there are 2 sizes of heater control valves for the 59 - 5/8" or 3/4".
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

MY 59

Russ is spot on, it is simply a rubber O ring.
I would assume it is just an off the shelf diameter and nothing special, but just in case when I assembled mine I had it pressure tested for leaks :)
pays to check rather than install the whole assembly and then find out!
good luck :)
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

russ austin

Yea, the book sais 59-62 heater cores are the same.  59-64 75/CC     I found some O rings, so I'll give it a try.  Thanks guys.
R.Austin

greybeard

Didn't intend to hijack this thread, but I need a new heater core and don't know where to start to look.  I pulled the heater cover off the firewall to install an aftermarket boot to the heater motor, which did NOT fit worth a crap!  The radiator is leaking.  Is there a source for these boots that are rubber, not plastic??
Thank you,

Don Sylvia

Jeff Wilk

Don, two sources for you which are both awesome.

Heater core replacement/repair - Classic Auto Radiator in Farmingdale, NY         http://www.classicradiator.com/

RUBBER reproduction heater box boot - only folks who make them in RUBBER - TA MOTORS in Sweeden.  yes Sweeden.  Awesome parts.     http://www.tamotor.se/1959-g5854.html
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jeff Wilk

I probably should have mentioned to use Google and do "Translate Page" first so you get a US rendering of the TA MOTORS website for those who do not read Swedish....
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville