News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 hood height adjustment

Started by MY 59, August 21, 2014, 06:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

Hey all,
Ever since day one with my 59 caddy the bonnet (or 'hood'!!) has sat slightly high on the driver side.
I see in the manual the adjustment in height is done by spacers in the cowl rubber but on the drivers side the bonnet does not touch this rubber. On my Fairlane the hinges are fully adjustable even where they bolt to the body to fine tuning height etc, however the hinges on the caddy seem to bolt onto set positions including through the top into the body and have no adjustment??
Help is needed! :)
Thanks all
Dave
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Dan LeBlanc

If you want to drop the hood down where it meets the cowl, you will need to shim the forwardmost bolt of the hood hinge where it meets the hood. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

MY 59

Righto, will give that a try this afternoon.
thanks Dan

59-in-pieces

S. Butcher

Brett Baird

Dave,  I have the exact problem.  Let me know what works
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Grant Owen

Dave, since you live just over the ditch I thought I would respond with correct advise. This is common in 59 & 60 Cadillacs , it was an engineering fault right from the start , all the original 59 & 60 Cadillacs I have seen on the left hand side have a shim under the hinge I have seen some with 2 shims the location of the shim is on the second bolt down on the fire wall under the hinge. What this does is raise the front of the hinge lowering it at the back, DO NOT put a shim under the hinge where it meets the hood.

Ken Perry

Grant is correct ,that is how I do it all the time. Works well.You can do it with shims between the hinge and hood,but it looks like crap. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Julien Abrahams

I have exactly the same problem on my '67. I have seen many Cadillacs with the same problem. I thought it was due to the fact that the springs wear out or something. In my manual there is nothing on how to adjust the height of the hood either.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

MY 59

Righto, I have found the problem
I just did another visual inspection of the hinge, and noticed for the first time that the rear pressed circular pivot point was sitting on an angle.
I raised the hood to maximum and applied more pressure upward, this part moved and the back of the hood lowered.
so when the hood is closed the spring is pulling at this part, and because it is worn, this raises the back of the hood.
now to find another hinge, or to replace this pressed item with a nut/bolt or similar?
below is pic from google showing the pressed pivot point

The Tassie Devil(le)

Can't you press the pivot back into position, then hit the backside with a tack of weld to hold it other?

It means that you will have to remove the hinge to weld it.   Plus, if you remove the spring, it will take the pressure off the hinge to allow you to weld the pin in the correct position.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MY 59

I think the pin may have become worn down and no longer fits snugly into the 2 parts of the hinge allowing them to move.
there is a fair amount of movement!!
I have seen and used special bolts purpose made similar to this for car door hinges. not sure if they are around for hood hinges?

Jeff Wilk

Give these guys a call. Awesome hinge services.

www.sms-auto.com

This is NOT the same place as the fabric folks.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville