News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941-56 differential carrier gasket : which material ?

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, August 23, 2014, 08:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

Trying to locate a new differential carrier gasket for my '52 - the large, round-like one between carrier and housing.
According to the parts list, the same part was used on all 1941-56 models, plus some others as early as 1937.

I haven't found this gasket for sale anywhere, so I guess I will fabricate it. Will ordinary gasket paper do the job ?

I will replace, too, the twelve 3/8" copper crush washers. Would you recommend the use of new nuts as well ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Bob Schuman

If you have to make a gasket, ordinary gasket material will do fine. Be aware that the gasket is not a perfect circle and the bolt holes are not uniformly spaced. I learned that after carefully making a gasket that would not fit.

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Classic on August 23, 2014, 08:45:27 AMIs this what you are looking for?  http://www.vintagegasket.com/19371956-differential-carrier-1937195610113.html
Yes sir 8)
This website has no user-friendly checkout for overseas orders, I'll give them a call on monday. Hope they don't have a minimum shipping fee of $20+ like Rock**to for such small parts...
Thanks a lot for this link :)

Quote from: Bob Schuman on August 23, 2014, 12:27:01 PMIf you have to make a gasket, ordinary gasket material will do fine. Be aware that the gasket is not a perfect circle and the bolt holes are not uniformly spaced. I learned that after carefully making a gasket that would not fit.
Thanks Bob. I usually stick the gasket paper on the joint flat surface and imprint it with a lead pencil.

Jay Friedman

Phillipe,

It's a paper gasket.  I would recommend replacing the 12 copper crush washers.  If the nuts are in good shape, you could merely chase their threads with a tap and re-use them. 

If you buy the gasket and they charge more than you want to pay to ship it overseas, have them ship it to my house in Georgia and I'll then put it in a large envelope with a piece of cardboard to stiffen it and mail it to you myself.  What country are you in?  I don't do credit cards or paypal, but you could reimburse me whatever it costs me to mail it to you by sending the equivalent amount in euro currency notes to my daughter who lives near Geneva.  (She lives close to the French border, so uses both euros and Swiss money.)

Alternatively, if you are not in a hurry, I'm going to visit my daughter in October and could bring it with me and mail it to you from there.  Email me privately if you like at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com   

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks for your input.

Jay, I live in France. I have a sister living in the US, and I decided a few years ago to stop harassing her with my "please-send-me-this-part-for-my-Caddy" motto  ;) I got aware of the disturbance it has been to her. So although I appreciate your generous offer, I have to decline it.

I finally made the gasket myself (pic 1)
Bob, the gasket is a circle, though with a few indentations. As you wrote, the space between bolt holes varies, so I put "L" and "R" marks on the new gasket.

I soaked it in linen oil and cut it flush with the carrier casting (pic 2).

New 3/8" x 5/8" copper crush washers (pic 3) - the oil seal is not in place yet, hence this high-tech dust cover ;D .

The 30 lb.ft torque mentioned in the manual easily crushes them (pic 4).