News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine Temperature Switch

Started by EAM 17806, August 25, 2014, 02:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

I'm looking for an "Engine Temperature
Sending Switch" for a 1976 Cadillac De Ville, 500CU, 8.2Ltr. Carb  which is located in the right front of the engine on the block to the right side of the thermostat  looking at it from the driver's seat. Where can I get one? I have tried Cadillac dealers, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc.  There is another heat switch located on the left rear of the engine which gets confused with the one I'm looking for and they are not the same even though they appear to be alike.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Dave Shepherd

The one on the lt cyl head is a metal temp/switch/sender. you want the coolant temp sender. usapartssupply.com, shows one in the catalogue, page 73.

TJ Hopland

He said block so its not the ones in the heads.  He also said to the right of the Tstat as seen from drivers seat,  the one Roy linked to is on the left.   I don't think all the 76's had that sensor so it may be hard to find, perhaps a CA or altitude option?  I thought it was an EFI thing.  You would have to see what it does and figure out if you can get something close. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ev,
I believe I have one at home. I am in Virginia for this week and be back home next Tuesday. If you can wait please pm me.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

EAM 17806

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 25, 2014, 09:58:37 PM
He said block so its not the ones in the heads.  He also said to the right of the Tstat as seen from drivers seat,  the one Roy linked to is on the left.   I don't think all the 76's had that sensor so it may be hard to find, perhaps a CA or altitude option?  I thought it was an EFI thing.  You would have to see what it does and figure out if you can get something close. 

TJ:  Thanks for the neat picture of an engine for illustration purposes, but that isn't where the location for the temperature switch for the dash light is nor is the location for the engine temperature sending switch  on a 76 Coupe de Ville, 8.2ltr, carb is. I found a new Ac Delco sending switch from  US PARTS SUPPLY which should be the correct one, I hope!  Thanks for your assistance and information TJ.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

There is yet another sensor and another location?    I thought the only place for the dash light has always been the top center one which ends up buried under the AC compressor, those are the ones Brian linked to.   Earlier the light was labeled 'water' but seems like they changed that at some point to maybe something like 'coolant temp'.   I was thinking the one on the right side was a vacuum switch as was typically  the one to the left under the distributor.   The other two temp switches are mounted into the corners of the heads.  These look like about a 5/8" nut with a single tab terminal.   One behind the alternator, this one trips at 120F and tells the heater blower to turn on in some modes.    There is then an identical looking sensor in the left head which would put it next to the brake booster.   This one is for the 'engine temp' light that trips at varying temps over the years ranging from around 250F to about 375F.   I think in later years this light got labeled 'stop engine temp' or something to that effect.    Obviously if you got those sensors mixed up things would not work right.    On earlier cars that warning light was tied to the buzzer which also got tangled into the key in circuit and the seat belts.  Not sure if they cleaned that up by 76 or not.  73 it was quite a tangled web.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason