News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 neutral safety switch seal question...

Started by Edward Kenny, August 26, 2014, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

Has anyone had any luck in sealing the seams of a neutral safety switch so it stops hissing? Mine hisses at all times. The only thing good is the parking brake does release, but only after a second or so after taking the car out of park.

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

quadfins

I took mine apart, cleaned & lubricated it, and made sure that the housing was nice and tight when I put it back together. So it can be done. Just be careful that you don't break the tabs off the back.

Also, if the switch has shifted from it's proper alignment, it might be in constant activation. Loosen the mounting screw and shift it around a little, and see if the hiss goes away.

Another source of leak (and hiss) is the release diaphragm itself.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

russ austin

Its usually the rubber seal that has given up the good fight. Put a dab of RTV under the rubber cup.
R.Austin

Edward Kenny

Which rubber seal are you talking about? I know of no rubber seal other than the small black seal inside the switch which controls the vacuum flow.

russ austin

If you take the vacuum valve off, there are 2 rubber seals.  1 O ring, and 1 cup type thing.  There is a metal plunger, and the seals are on each side.
R.Austin