News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

When all else fails, read the directions -- TV rod ajustment

Started by Caddy Wizard, August 28, 2014, 11:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

I purchased another 50's Cadillac recently (a 55 FW I call "Tex") and it is in pretty good mechanical shape.  Seller advised me that the 2-3 upshift was a little rough.  Well, I found it to be rather violent.  I was considering having it rebuilt, but I thought that perhaps I should check the simple stuff first.  The 55 Shop Manual Supplement doesn't have a diagnosis chart (like the 49 Shop Manual does), so I was scratching my head a little.  The 54 Shop Manual doesn't either.  But figuring that the transmission was very similar to the 49 unit, I consulted the 49 Shop Manual to see what the likely culprits were.  It told me that the most likely problem was in the TV rod and the second most likely was in the control valve body (probably a stuck valve or broken spring somewhere). 

Armed with that info, last night I checked the adjustment of the TV rod.  As mentioned above, the car has been shifting rather violently from second into third and the other shifts were a little harsh (but not bad).  The 55 book says to seat the TV rod, bring the rear jam nut up to engage the throttle, and then back off "8 flats" (1-1/3 turns).  This TV rod had been set at more than 5 full turns (I counted when I started)!  So it was off by about 4 full threads, which is a whole lot to be off!  Even 1/2 a turn makes a noticeable difference, in my long experience with these cars.  Car shifts very well now.  All of the upshifts are much smoother and the 2-3 shift is almost the way it is designed.  Still slightly harsher than it should be, but not worth a rebuild!  I ordered a seal and gasket kit from FATSCO last evening and when it arrives I'll take the valve body out and apart and clean everything really well.  I could even skip that procedure, the car is shifting so well.  But in search of that last little bit of improvement, I'll probably check out the valve body.

I think the TV rod adjustment could have gotten this far off by someone consulting the wrong shop manual.  If I recall correctly, I think the 54 shop manual calls for 5 full turns adjustment, while the 55 supplement calls for just 1-1/3.

Lesson for the day -- read the directions!
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Dan LeBlanc

That's always the first thing to check with these transmissions.

Even in my '61, it was shifting ok, but a little long between second and third.  Seemed as if the rod was a bit too long.  One turn was all it took and the 2-3 shift is not even noticable (by Jetaway Hydramatic standards, that is).
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

It's amazing what a 1/2 a turn to a turn can do relative to the shifting qualities!  Even my Jeep Grand Cherokee which incorporates a much simpler spring loaded TV Rod adjustment mechanism went from very rough to barely noticeable shifting! 
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

76eldo

On the 2-3 shift in a 1960, if you wanted to try small adjustments if the shift seems a bit delayed between 2-3 would you go longer or shorter on the rod?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

For me, shortening was the cure for the delay between gears.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Tito Sobrinho

As Art explained, the TV rod adjustment is very sensitive for the Hydra-Matic change in gears.
It took me a long time to adjust the TV rod without avail, Longer rod= short shift and shorter rod long shift. But it was not quite right.
Last year, I bought from Jay Friedman "The Manufacturing Information for the 1949 Cadillac" and the answer was there. Over the years of mechanics removing and installing the carburetor in my car, parts were lost in the TV trunion through the carburetor throttle lever.
When installing the trunion at least in the '49, one has to install a spring washer, washer and finally, the cotter pin. Made a difference because the trunion was only held by the cotter pin and it was "lose" affecting somehow the shifting.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Dave Burke

Recently, that was the story of my life - a hard shift in my '57 SDV.  Instead of trying to do things intuitively, I followed the shop manual TO THE LETTER in regards to the TV rod adjustment.  Now I can hardly feel the shift!  It used to hover between gears and then - POW! - it would kick into gear.  It was really bad at low speeds, like making a turn at an intersection, where constant power meant getting through it when there was oncoming traffic. 

Now that I have it set correctly, I understand why the Hydramatic has the great reputation that it does.

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

dadscad

"When installing the trunion at least in the '49, one has to install a spring washer, washer and finally, the cotter pin. Made a difference because the trunion was only held by the cotter pin and it was "lose" affecting somehow the shifting."

Tito, When I took possession of my 63, I noticed the TV rod trunion was very sloppy in the carburetor throttle leaver. I guess my car needed the spring washers, too. I improvised by using two flat washers to shim the trunion on each side of the lever so it was held much straighter with less slop. Getting the TV rod adjusted after that and using a synthetic transmission fluid, I've experienced flawless shifting with my 63 Hydra-Matic.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Tito Sobrinho

Yes David, sometimes "little stuff" makes a big difference!
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.