News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible...the beat goes on

Started by Whit, August 28, 2014, 04:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Well, I continue to take things apart and find all the exciting issues that need attention...almost no end to it, and this car is pretty solid. The body is ready to come off the frame and it is time to decide how to address the rust issues...mostly floor pans for (which I have replacements)...and the lower rear quarter panels (so far I have found no available 'patch panels' for this model). I will have to decide whether to 'dip and strip' the fenders, hood and deck lids, and the body...or sand blast and repair rust through.

The wiring harness seems OK with some minor repairs needed. This model has electric and vacuum 'everything' and both will be a challenge. I have not been able to find a GOOD wiring diagram that is clear and definitive. I have one on the Service Manual CD which is virtually worthless.

Can anyone let me know where I can find a decent wiring diagram for this car?

A similar issue exists with the miles of vacuum tube 'spaghetti' that controls door latches and numerous other things. Does a cogent 'vacuum tubing' diagram exist with routing and connection information?

All advice and guidance will be appreciated.

Regards    Whit

76eldo

Whit,

Everything that is available is in the 59 manual and 60 supplement.

Take tons of photos and make lots of notes because the wiring and vacuum stuff will be very confusing to put back in.

I am in the beginning stages of reviving a 1960 Eldorado Seville.  It's rock solid and no rust so I am going to just do what it needed to get it running for now, try to clean up the original interior and buff what is left of the paint.

At the most, it may get a repaint after removing all of the moldings and chrome, but I am not attempting anything as monumental as what you are doing, but the car is absolutely worth doing.  The 60 Biarritz is a beautiful car and very valuable as we know.

I can't believe there is no authenticity manual for 59-60.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

59-in-pieces

Whit,
Only know the 59's for sure.
Contact www.classiccarwiring.com or at 917-863-9131 for the harness diagram.
The diagrams are clear, laminated to keep clean, and the wires are shown in colors.
I would opt for the larger format of about 18X24 approx..
I have had the same question about why we don't have an authenticity manual for the 59 and, its LITTLE FINNED brother, the 60.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I studied the pictures you have and I hate to tell you, but you're missing a couple of things!!
Really, it looks great. Please keep us updated on your progress. 
Good Luck,
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Whit

Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

Steve: I will contact www.classiccarwiring.com and see what they have to offer. As you know, the '59 and '60 are almost identical in many respects, although there are minor wiring differences.

Jeff: I did notice that there were some parts missing in the photos...but I do have them for the most part. Still looking for the tri-power air cleaner though.

Brian: I bet I could use some parts off your two '60s...better keep an eye on them!

More later...and thanks to all.            Whit

76eldo

The air cleaners are hard to come by.  I have had a few over the years that I bought and sold.  There is one on ebay right now but it's $1795.00.  I will keep my eyes open for one for you.

Eventually you will find all the stuff you need.

It's a big project, but well worth the effort.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

Brian:  Thanks for keeping me in mind on air cleaners and such...although I have some time, I eventually will need it.

Whit

bill06447

Look on eBay for an original shop manual (not a copy or CD!) the wiring diagrams are clear and you can use a magnifier sheet and they will still be clear, unlike the reprints. Sometimes you need to go old school when dealing with old school ;)

Whit

Yes...I realized after the fact that the manual on a CD was not the way to go...it's a copy of a copy...and it's difficult to use, scrolling etc.. I would have been better off buying the printed version.

Sometimes one gets 'too soon old' and 'too late smart'...!

Whit 

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

No, no.  I was just joking with you.  I should have said some assembly required.
Looks like a fun project
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Whit

I fear that taking it apart was the easy part...putting it together again will be interesting.

Whit

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

From the CLC website:

The purpose of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club's Authenticity Manual Project is to document, as much as possible, the details of how Cadillacs and LaSalles actually looked when they left the factory and were delivered by the dealer. Initiated by Fredus "Pete" Peters and currently under the direction of William C. "Bill" Anderson, P.E., the Club's Director of Technical Services, teams of Club members are preparing twenty-nine (29) such booklets, one for each class into which Cadillacs and LaSalles are grouped for national judging.

Additional manuals are currently under development for many other Cadillacs and LaSalles, as well.

and from me:  It is a ton of work to write,re-write and edit an authenticity manual. If you have ever judged a car show, meet or grand national you learn very quickly how opinions are often misconstrued as "fact". So many very important components go into the restoration and operation of our cars that, like this forum, it's a team effort to say the least. Perhaps you guys can contact Bill Anderson and see if there is a manual in the works. Obviously with just the info you gave here your help would be invaluable. I thought I knew some things till I started a restoration project, then I quickly learned how little I knew. It's guys and gals like yourselves that have saved me too many times to count.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Cadcliff

I might still have an air cleaner hanging around from the large collection of 59 and 60 parts I got last year
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

Whit

If you have an air cleaner and want to sell it, I might be interested. I getting a little 'gun shy' at the cost of parts as I realize just how much stuff I will need. Are you parting all the cars that you bought...or did you buy a bunch of parts to sell? I note that you have a bucket seat '61...I've thought of putting 'bucket seats' in my '60, instead of the bench seat it came with. What do you intend doing with the parts you have?

Regards;   Whit

Whit

Are there sources of GM parts left over from 'the old days' that can be searched by P/N? I would assume that someone bought out quantities of GM parts as they became obsolete or were no longer stocked at dealers or main warehouses.

I have the two part number volumes for my car, I just don't know where to go to find if any of these parts are available.

Thanks   Whit

Cadcliff

At the moment I am not parting out any 1960 Cadillac Eldorados.
The parts that I have and more that are coming are just loose parts from other collectors.
My 1961 Cadillac Eldorado is a factory bucket seat car and it is not a parts car.....

I have a set of bucket seats that are VERY ROUGH.....
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

lguapo1300