News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A6 compressor dual belt clutch/pulley

Started by CadillacFlashback, August 31, 2014, 06:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacFlashback

My '71 CDV runs two accessory belts, I assume the original set up.  I can only find single-belt compressor clutches to purchase unless I buy an entire new compressor.  Anyone know where I can find a dual-belt clutch by itself?

Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

chrisntam

I checked Rock Auto, Old Air Products in Fort Worth and OPGI and don't see one.  I'll keep looking.  There's a place in Denton, TX that sells compressors/driers for old cars on eBay, I'll look them up to see if they have one.  If you can't find a web listing for one, I would call Old Air Products with your needs and if they can't help, they could probably steer you in the right direction. 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the worst comes to the worst, simply swap over the dual pulley from your old Compressor.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CadillacFlashback

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on August 31, 2014, 08:22:27 PM
If the worst comes to the worst, simply swap over the dual pulley from your old Compressor.

Bruce. >:D

I thought of that but wasn't sure it that could be done.  If you're saying it can...problem solved.

Thanks
Scott Forman
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
Some non-Caddy stuff too

Scot Minesinger

USA Parts 304-724-6600, page 44 of their catalog, part # 9.180CR, price is $135.04

Use the two groove, if you convert to one, it screeches easily-difficult to get it not to.  The single grove is only $6 cheaper.  Granted you may get it for less at other places.  This hurts originality and value of car if it is a one groove.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

CadillacFlashback

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on August 31, 2014, 10:59:11 PM
USA Parts 304-724-6600, page 44 of their catalog, part # 9.180CR, price is $135.04

Use the two groove, if you convert to one, it screeches easily-difficult to get it not to.  The single grove is only $6 cheaper.  Granted you may get it for less at other places.  This hurts originality and value of car if it is a one groove.

They say no longer available.  >:(
Scott Forman
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
Some non-Caddy stuff too

Scot Minesinger

I would buy a used one if they are no longer available at USA Parts.  The one from old compressor may be best.  Have repaired a dozen or so of these dual groove climate control systems, and never had a bad clutch, so they seem durable to me.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott(F),
You certainly can re-use your existing pulley and clutch if it works and the pulley bearing is good. It takes a couple of specialized tools (clutch hub puller, installer, and pulley puller) as well as snap ring pliers, but the R & R is simple.  If you have a friendly auto AC shop they can easily do the swap and charges should be minimal. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Gene Beaird

While you have things apart, you may want to check the bearing in the pulley, too.  They're pretty robust, though, so you're probably in good shape.  With the pulley off the compressor, you're more than half-way there to replacing the bearing.  That's why I mention it. 

With the belts off, and with the clutch head off, give the pulley a spin, if it's nice an quiet, no need to replace the bearing, just reuse it.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

CadillacFlashback

Quote from: chrisntam on September 02, 2014, 10:56:16 AM
Try www.autoacsolutions.com, they may be able to assist.

877-542-8192

chris.

They don't sell the clutch alone.

At this point maybe I just need to buy the whole compressor and pull the clutch off the new one.  The whole things is available dual belt
Scott Forman
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
Some non-Caddy stuff too

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
I guess Idid not read your post carefully, and now.understand you only want the clutch. If the clutch face of the pulley is not scored too badly and the clutch coil.is functional you can replace the pulley bearing and the clutch disc IS available.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-