News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 V12 REAR END GEARS

Started by Cord1930, September 02, 2014, 02:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cord1930

Hi.   I am looking at replacing the rear end gears in my 31 Cadillac V12.  Dose anyone have any suggestions that can get me to a 3.1 or maybe a 3.5 gear ratio that can easily bolt on.  Did anyone in the club make lower gear ratios, that may still be for sale.  Any leads appreciated.   Thanks

Classic

Phil Bray (ORF Corp.) was the go-to person for high-speed rear ends (Packard's, Cadillac's, Duesenberg's, etc.).  Unfortunately he passed away last April.  But you can contact his wife Carol at 734-676-5520.  I'm sure she will be able to tell you who has taken over Phil's business.  Be careful not to go to too low a ratio, which can cause startability problems, especially on hills.  85% of the original ratio is probably a good guideline, but in any event, not lower than 80%.  Others chime in if you have a different opinion.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Classic

Another option is to install an overdrive.  Gear Vendors is a popular brand.  https://www.gearvendors.com/custom.html
Some people prefer the R10 Borg Warner overdrive.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I also thought of the overdrive route but, I think you'll have to do some monkeying around with the drive shaft tube to get it to work. 

But once its in, it will be the answer , you'll have those tall gears to get the 6000 lbs rolling and then shift to overdrive to cruse.   It does sound sweet!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
When it comes to rear end ratios, things are opposite.
A high ratio is a low number.
A low ratio is a high number.
Tall gears are high ratio,
Stump pullers are low ratio.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Wayne Womble 12210

I have a stump pulling 4:90 if any one needs it.  ;D

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Wayne,
Knock 20 % of the teeth off & turn it into a 3.90. LOL!
So... do you agree with my post?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Wayne Womble 12210

Bob, that would be how you write that number.   Written as 411 it would be high, but as 4/11 it would be low.  >:D  But we are talking about ratios 3/11 is a higher number than 4/11, but is that a lower ratio or not?

I agree with you, we always called a stump puller a low ratio.