News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 Deville lean mixture when floored?

Started by Julien Abrahams, September 03, 2014, 05:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hey guys, I noticed today that it appears that the mixture gets too lean when I floor the accelerator to overtake somebody (and use the downshift switch). When the secondaries open up, the acceleration is not smooth, but a bit jerky. It appears it gets too lean or something. What could cause this? Spring tension of the secondaries (air valve) too tight? Too loose? The choke pull off diaphgragm is new and working fine. What else can I check?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Dan LeBlanc

Any smoke visible in the rear view mirror when this happens?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

On my 1981 Corvette I pulled the secondary air valve rod off years ago and performance improved significantly!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

dplotkin

Quote from: Julien Abrahams on September 03, 2014, 05:09:29 PM
Hey guys, I noticed today that it appears that the mixture gets too lean when I floor the accelerator to overtake somebody (and use the downshift switch). When the secondaries open up, the acceleration is not smooth, but a bit jerky.

Julien:
Your problem can just as easily be ignition as fuel. First step is to rule out one or the other and it is generally best to check the easiest stuff first. When you put a load on an engine and increase its speed and cylinder pressure the ignition system has to work harder to jump the gap. Dirty fouled plugs may start and run fine but "break up" under full throttle. Bad wires will do that, a coil on its way out can too.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Julien,
A SWAG would have me looking at the spring tension of the secondary air valve.  If it is too loose, there can be quite a "bog" untill the engine speed catches up with the carburetor.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Julien Abrahams

OK, but what is the bog actually? I'm thinking air spring tension as well, but how do I know whether it is correct? Just loosen/tighten it, and test run to see if it makes a difference?
Further: I cleaned and regapped the spark plugs a couple of weeks ago and the spark plug wires are about a year old. I put in new points last year as well (and adjusted the timing of the ignition and dwell angle a couple of weeks ago).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett