News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is this true about the tail fins on '59 Cadillacs?

Started by chrisntam, September 06, 2014, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

There is a seller (from Florida) of classic cars on eBay who says his cars are "simply the best" and it is "truly magnificent" and "mint" and "pristine" etc. 

In one of his ads, he says this:

"The fins were so long on the 1959 model Cadillacs that several fatal and serious accidents occurred when people were backed into and impaled with these monster-sized fins or were involved in car accidents when they accidentally rear-ended a 59 Cadillac with their car."

Is that true?

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Walter Youshock

There was also a story about the '59 Chevy going airborne from cross winds lifting the back end of the car off the road.

Any Cadillac with pointed fins can be used as a weapon.   More owners and mechanics and probably Clark Street employees got stabbed than anyone.   One reason they put rubber guards on the '57 front bumpers was other cars were getting impaled in their trunks.  The '55 Dagmars were lethal.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Funny thing is that I "stabbed" myself a couple of times when working on my '60 CDV, and they do hurt.

Doesn't take too long to remember to give them a wide berth.

And yes, I think there was at least one tale of a motor cyclist getting "gutted" from running into the back of a '59.

But, the stories of the '59 Chev are unproven, as don't forget they used to race these in NASCAR, and no leaving the ground there.    Plus, there is no "lift" generated with the shape of these "wings"

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Frank Nicodemus fell into a 59 or 60 rear fin and impaled his arm on it. It was a serious injury.

They could never build anything like that today.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

There were some serious injuries from Cadillac tailfins back in the day.  Ralph Nader's "Unsafe at Any Speed" talked about several as I recall, including a motorcyclist who had his chest sliced open rear ending a '59, and a kid backing up up to catch a fly ball who got impaled on a '60.  Over the years I've been poked several times by my '59's fins, slipping on a wet driveway, or leaning over too far etc., and it can hurt. My '60 hasn't gotten me yet, but I'm sure it will.  In high school I wrote a murder mystery in which the victim has an odd triangular puncture wound, which turns out to be a result of being pinned against a wall by a '59.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Barry M Wheeler #2189

David. I picked up a NOS rear fender spear for a 1956 60S. Of course, with that, you would have to do the deed and then put it on the car, where the murder weapon promptly "disappears" into plain sight. Much like the frozen pot roast/lamb chop in one of the 40s film noir movies.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

They could build something like that today, they would just have to put those yellow triangle stickers all over the rear of the car with a picture of someone being injured and have a red slash through it.

I remember reading somewhere there is some sort of a pedestrian front impact standard being implemented where its supposed to minimize injuries when you hit pedestrians.   The funny part is initially it was only being applied to fairly high end 'fast' cars.  If you get hit at 200 mph does the shape of the front of the car really make a difference in the injuries?   Seems like there were also concerns about the new design effecting aerodynamics and mpg.   I can't remember if that whole thing was in the USA or if it was one of the EU countries.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Walter Youshock

Sammy Davis Jr lost his eye in an accident between Las Vegas and LA when he hit the steering wheel hub of his '54 or '55.  The design was changed for '56.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

INTMD8

Quote from: StevenTuck on September 07, 2014, 10:48:53 AM
I also heard that salesmen or just men in general liked the chrome steering wheel hub because the reflection made it possible to see under a woman's skirt. I also heard that some women complained about high gloss floor tiles on the showroom floor for the same reason. I guess some salesman got caught.

Steering wheel hub allowing me to see under a womans skirt seems like she would be standing directly over me in the drivers seat anyway.  I have a hard time understanding how that was/ever was a real concern.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 07, 2014, 11:00:06 AM
.........I remember reading somewhere there is some sort of a pedestrian front impact standard being implemented where its supposed to minimize injuries when you hit pedestrians. ......The funny part is initially it was only being applied to fairly high end 'fast' cars.  If you get hit at 200 mph does the shape of the front of the car really make a difference in the injuries?   Seems like there were also concerns about the new design effecting aerodynamics and mpg.   I can't remember if that whole thing was in the USA or if it was one of the EU countries.
It is world-wide, ands has been for years.

In Australia, many years ago, there was an attempt to have "dangerous objects" removed from older cars in order to protect pedestrians.   One of the parts they tried to have removed was the hood ornaments on '55 and '57 Chevs.   Luckily, it never came to fruition.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Now that's a case of people having nothing better to do.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

signart

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 06, 2014, 09:16:14 PM
Funny thing is that I "stabbed" myself a couple of times when working on my '60 CDV, and they do hurt.

Doesn't take too long to remember to give them a wide berth.

And yes, I think there was at least one tale of a motor cyclist getting "gutted" from running into the back of a '59.

But, the stories of the '59 Chev are unproven, as don't forget they used to race these in NASCAR, and no leaving the ground there.    Plus, there is no "lift" generated with the shape of these "wings"

As far as NASCAR and the '59 Impala's rumored wing "lift" go, quite the opposite is true. The wings actually produced "downforce".  Junior Johnson discovered this by drafting so close and then releasing the downforce on the car in front of him causing them to momentarily lose traction so he could slingshot around them.  By the way he won the 1960 Daytona 500 driving an "outdated' '59 Impala.
Art D. Woody

INTMD8

Quote from: StevenTuck on September 08, 2014, 11:08:56 AM
Jim,

I had a '59 Coupe Deville and sat in the passenger seat to see if it was possible. It was possible.

LOL, ok I will keep that in mind.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Walter Youshock on September 07, 2014, 03:15:40 PM
Sammy Davis Jr lost his eye in an accident between Las Vegas and LA when he hit the steering wheel hub of his '54 or '55.  The design was changed for '56.

True story.  Sammy was driving a '55 Eldorado when he went through an intersection and a driver
ran a red light and hit him broadside.  The impact caused his face to slam into the steering
wheel and that cost him an eye.  That chromed center on the steering wheel was dangerous.

I have a '55 and once when I was reinstalling the center piece I didn't have it completely
"locked" into position.  Took a drive and chose to give someone a toot on the horn who
gave me a "thumbs up" and the center piece (under spring pressure) let go and hit me
in the face.  Fortunately I was wearing glasses and it hit the middle of my right lens
instead of my eye!!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

gatelyrestoration

I have seen many people get impaled on the 59 and 60 Caddy fins over the years.
617-445-3300 11am-9pm 7days a week
Follow us on Google Plus
Personal Collection Favorites
1937 Cadillac Convertible
1939 Cadillac Convertible
1957 Coupe Deville
1964 Cadillac Eldorado
1968 Eldorado
1975 Cadillac Fleetwood