News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eldorado Biarritz A/C Question and Part ID

Started by Rockminster, September 12, 2014, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockminster

I have a 1960 Biarritz with factory air that blows air, just not cold air.  My mechanic says that the part (valve?) in the center of this picture is the culprit and that he can't find a replacement.  I think he is implying that system is leaking out at this point as it won't hold a charge.  Can I please get help IDing this part (incl part number) and any guidance on where to get a replacement.

Thanks!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Suction throttling valve.

There are shops that rebuild them.

Members here may have some recommendations.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

I got mine rebuilt for my '70 at classic auto air in Florida, cost a little over $200.   Mailed it to them w/ a tracking # and they had it back to me good as new in about two weeks.  Mine needed rebuilding, they may be able to clean (or something less than rebuild) it out and test it to confirm it works for less.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

With all due respects, this is a Hot Gas Bypass valve, and yes parts for rebuilding it (diaphrams and o-rings) are available from Old Air Products, or you can have yours rebuilt.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

67fleetwood

Parts USA Cadillac (usapartssupply.com) sells rebuilt hot gas by pass values for $176.33 (part number 9.198ER)  They also have rebuild kits for 73.95. Hope this helps 

Dan LeBlanc

1962 was the first year for the suction throttling valve.

In '61, they replaced the mechanical control with a vacuum control on the hot gas bypass valve, so that is a 1 year only valve.

That makes 1960 the last year for that style valve.

Little history lesson there.

What it does is introduces an artificial load into the system to prevent icing at maximum cooling and allows more refrigerant from the hot (high) side of the system into the cool (low) side of the system as you set the a/c to a warmer temperature. The more artificial load, the less cool the air is coming out of the vents.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Gentlemen,
If I may as a point of clarification, with a hot gas bypass valve in the system, the purpose of the device is to "bypass" the condenser with varying amounts of hot gas (of course) and divert that hot gas to the suction line after the evaporator.  What this does in fact is puts a false load on the compressor itself, reducing it's ability to pump refrigerant to and from the evaporator.  As incorporated in the early Cadillac AC systems, this was a manual operation, so the operator could (in theory) select the comfort conditions they desired.  As they wanted the temperature warmer they moved the selector lever to "warmer" and the cable attached to the lever moved the arm on the HGB valve opening the bypass to the suction line. This system was certainly a quantum leap ahead of others in its day, but definately had its draw backs.
The suction throttling valve that replaced the HGB from 1961 through 1964 simply closed off the suction line to the compressor, again reducing the compressors ability to pump and keeping the temperature of the evaporator (supposedly) above the point where moisture would freeze on the air side.
In 1965 and through 1973 the systems featured a device called a POA standing for pilot operated absolute also incorrectly labeled as a suction throttling valve in the literature.  The purpose of this valve is to maintain a minimum pressure in the evaporator to again keep it from icing the air side of the coil.  This device would more correctly (in the terminology of the Refrigeration and Air Condition industry) be called an evaporator pressure regulator, because that is what it does, but for simplicity of the automotive mechanics  understanding  they gave it a different label.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

n2caddies

I ordered the kit and rebuilt it myself on my 60. Came with adequate directions and my leak was gone. Been blowing cold air for 2 years now. I believe it came from old air products or caddy daddy.
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

If all the HGB valve parts are unbroken, the valve is simple to repair with the repair kit if done carefully following instructions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille