News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

air cleaning housing Eldorado

Started by Cooke, September 13, 2014, 03:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I just noticed two small holes in the cover to my air cleaner on my 68 Eldorado. I assume something went there at one time, if anyone knows let me know. Also whatever it is is it still available?  Thanks

TJ Hopland

In the cover?   Was there perhaps a riveted name plate instead of the decal they used later?

Seems like I remember seeing some sort of a gas saving device that attached to the lid.   Seems like it was the sort of thing you got out of a JC Whittney catalog in the 70's.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Davidinhartford

Can you post a photo?    Then I can match up the same spot on my car. 

Better yet,   I'd like to come over and see your car in person seeing that we live so close.

TJ Hopland

I looked for a picture of the gas saving thing I was thinking of but didn't find anything that looked like it.     From what I remember it was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the circle and hung down between the carb and the inside of the air filter.  It must have been some sort of 'vortex' thing that was supposed to make the fuel mix better.   The one I had was attached to the lid with a couple of screws.   I can't remember the brand name but it did have a catchy name and a 'patent pending' on it.  I don't even remember what car that was on.   I think the instructions for it were in the glove box.   I remember you were supposed to 'tune' it by rotating the lid around in relation to the snorkel.  It said when you got it dialed in you could save 20%.   It didn't say 20% of what just said you could save.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Scot Minesinger

It is a leveling system that has been removed.  I would plug this because it allows unfiltered air to enter the carb and is a vacuum leak.  Others requested picture, highly recommend, just to confirm.  One was for the screw connection, the other for air.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I thought the leveling connection went to the underside?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Scot Minesinger

Leveling was on top in 68 just worked on a Cadillac with that option.  Now I'm working on a 76 that has it on underside as you wrote.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   I wonder why they didn't put it underneath especially in the Eldo's where there was not a lot of space on top. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

cadillacmike68

It only made the top higher by perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The cross member arms were probably higher than the air cleaner, with or without the Automatic Level Control fitting.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike