News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1973 RWD motor for a 1975 Eldorado?

Started by Terry Griffin - CLC#20149, September 16, 2014, 02:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Griffin - CLC#20149

Hi,
I can get an overhauled/rebuilt 1973 500ci from a CVD for my 1975 Eldo.  Does anyone know whether it will fit without modifying engine mounts, etc?
regards, Terry Griffin (in Australia)
My USA CLC membership number is 20149

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Terry,

Firstly, the '73 CDV would have had a 472 in it originally.

The engine will bolt in, once you swap out the Sump, Oil Pickup, and change the dipstick tube to the hole that is sealed by the ball bearing next to it

This is performed by punching the ball out, from underneath, and putting it back in the hole that the dipstick tube came out of.

The front engine mount brackets from the Eldorado will slip right onto the lugs of the other block.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Terry Griffin - CLC#20149

Thanks for that Bruce.  I'll call the guy again and verify what he told me, including getting the engine number.  That should tell me whether it is a 472 or 500 I guess.  If it all looks kosher, I'll ask Peter Ratcliff if anyone with some knowledge in Melbourne could check it out for me.
regards, Terry

TJ Hopland

Block numbers were the same on 70-76 472 and 500's,  1485200.  68-69 were 1486238.   Only way to know for sure is either the casting number in the crank or measure the stroke.  4.0 vs 4.3 so you are looking for only a 1/4" difference.

If its the earlier block the oil pickup tube was different size so you would have to find an oil pickup from a 68-69 Eldo but other than that the rest of the stuff will swap over from your motor. 

There really is not a huge difference in the performance between the 472 and 500 so if its a good running motor for a good price I would do it.   Guessing your options are pretty limited down there.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Engine Number will be the most convenient way, without dismantling the engine.

This way, you can identify what it came out of.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon