News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59' Stranded at the Mechanic- Advice?

Started by nick7764, September 18, 2014, 11:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

If you are willing to wait and let him finish the engine, just take the car home and bring it back when he is ready to reinstall the engine.

I don't let any cars sit around outside.
Lots of things can happen. I'd move the car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

nick7764

Bob,

I actually spoke with Fitzgerald's and they seem very knowledgeable and understanding.  I may go over there to check out the shop.  I'm leaning towards just sending the car to their shop regardless of what the current excuse is with my mechanic.  They offer inside storage as well, which is a huge plus and would ease my mind incredibly. 

According to my mechanic, so far all of the machine work is done, the heads are complete, and it is just waiting on the final wash and assembly.  He also said the car ahead of mine is now done.  But he still can't guarantee he can get started till "next week or so".  Which he has been saying for over a month since the last update.

Not knowing cars, I am not sure how much work that is- does anyone have any input of how much "more" work needs to happen?  I'm not sure what goes into "final wash" and assembly.

59-in-pieces

If the new shop specializes in engine rebuilding, that is a good thing.
Did you find out how many jobs that they may have ahead of yours - to judge the down time in their shop so your expectations can be managed - they are likely not magicians with a quick fix.
Also, I would still get your engine to the new place - PRONTO.
The machining of the block and heads is only part of the process - a good foundation, well done work is critical, and the new shop can confirm the previous quality of work - not wanting to stub their toes going forward.
But, in my view the more critical part of the rebuild comes with the reassembly requiring parts to be installed with tight tolerances, and attention to the details.
If your current guy gets PO'd, spite is a weak motivator to do a good reassembly job.
That being said - sloppy work or out right sabotage - will shorten the life of your engine.
Good luck,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

RobertM

Nick,
I agree with Steve's assertion about assembly.  My engine would have been done a couple weeks earlier, but Darryl wasn't comfortable with a clearance on the crank (I couldn't tell you what clearance that was.  He told me what it was back then, but all I really heard was that things were too snug and he needed to fix it).  He took everything back apart and sent it out to be line-honed. 

If you decide to go with them, I'm pretty certain you will be pleased. That is a pretty far ride from where you are, but it just may be worth it.

I put up a thread at the mid-century Cadillac forum about my engine restoration.   Mostly it's me bragging about cleaning or repainting this or that, but there are a few pics of the engine work in progress.
http://midcenturycadillacs.com/index.php?topic=405.0
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Tom Hall 7485

This sort of problem boils down to the contract, whether oral or written.

Did you and the mechanic agree on a date certain when the work would be finished?  If so, that date will generally control.  If not, the mechanic has a reasonable time in which to perform.  If he goes beyond that time, he breaches the contract.

Did you and the mechanic agree on how the car would be stored during the work?  If so, that promise will generally control.  (One exception would be when the storage plan is illegal, such as putting the car in an illegal parking place.)  If the mechanic has broken his promise as to storage, he is probably in breach of contract. 

You are not entitled to possession of the engine (and very likely the entire car you took to him) until the bill for services actually rendered and parts actually installed is paid.  A mechanic has a lien for that amount for so long as he remains in possession of the thing worked on.

You may be entitled to money damages for the cost of having another mechanic finish the work contracted for, and for a delay caused by a breach of contract that cost you money or a valuable opportunity.

If he is negligently causing damage to your car, as by leaving it in a place that is reasonably foreseeable to cause rust, vandalism or theft, and the car comes to be damaged by that sort of hazard, that is yet another theory to recover money damages.

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

RobertM

Hey Nick
I stopped by Fitzgerald's today in my '54 and found your '59 sedan in the parking lot!  That'll be a fun restoration project.  Let me know if you need a hand with anything while it's in CT.
Bob
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Scott Halver

Hello Stranded,
I have a 1960 Cadillac and had the engine and transmission rebuilt, 2012.   It took about 6 weeks (some issues, but was driving it, now all engine issues resolved-   no issues with the rebuild, things like carburation not quite right, fan clutch installed wrong causing a vibration etc).    I don't know how you have hung on so long.   I'm with the guy that said he would be worried about rodents and vandalism.    If you haven't gotten the car out of the shop I would take it to one of the references/mechanics that other members have suggested.   I know someone that had their engine rebuilt and it took 10 months............ all went well but the car was stored safely and the mechanic came highly recommended-   10 mo because he is really good and too busy.    I'm not hearing you say that this is a well known mechanic for classic or better yet Cadillac cars.   You should be driving the car by now and having fun!   Halver #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350