News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fire extinguisher project

Started by Lucas Feininger #15674, September 21, 2014, 02:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas Feininger #15674

I recently decided to do something about the fire extinguisher in my cars. I like to keep them handy but I don't like them rolling around or having to keep them on the seat.

I discovered that the fire extinguishers I use (the SS20 16 oz. aerosol from Fire Fight Products) would fit neatly into a water bottle holder designed for a bicycle.

Here is what I did:

I got some cheap rubber mats at Pep Boys, some water bottle holders and some hardware.

I cut the mat to fit under the mats in my 1965 Sedan de Ville.

I punched some holes in the edge of the mat and attached the water bottle holder with some small nuts and bolts. I used fender washers to prevent the mats from tearing.

I inserted the mat with the water bottle holder under the mat in my car and put the fire extinguisher in the holder.

The mat with the holder can be removed easily when showing the car. No holes are drilled into the car, but the fire extinguisher stays right where I want it.

The whole project took about a half an hour.

Here are some pictures:

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

RussK

That's a good idea, like its location.
Its always better to be safe than sorry.
Russell kidd

Gene Beaird

Excellent idea!!  I've been in the process of (slowly) adding extinguishers to our DD cars, and have been struggling with a mounting setup.  After a quick look at things, it looks like even a 2-1/2# extinguisher could be mounted that way. 

Alternatively, most 2-1/2# extinguishers come with a quick-release mount that could be easily-mounted on a floor mat like you have configured above.  I might have to look into that.  It's amazing how few places there are available to mount extinguishers in more modern cars.  I've been struggling for a while to find a spot in our 2010 Tahoe PPV. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Gene Beaird

And like a fire extinguisher, you have to keep them up to date.  Where we live, the heat and humidity gets to everything in those kits, so every few years, if you don't use anything in them, you really have to throw them out and get a new package.  It's kind of annoying, so we usually keep a small first aid bag in our 'track bag' (a small tool bag we have all of our small things we take to the autocross track when we run).  That bag stays in the house when we're not going to the track, so those items last a bit longer. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

In my 73 the extinguisher fits reasonably well in the rubbish container on the passenger side.   Also helps having the red interior, it kinda blends in better.    Other cars the fit and seem to stay in place for the most part under the seats. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

Gene’s comments about checking and replacing the extinguishers are right on.  I have a suggestion on what to do with the old extinguishers.  Go out to a safe place for this and build a fire, practice putting out the fire with the extinguisher.  Have family members including kids practice also.  Waiting until there is a fire to learn how the extinguisher works is not a good plan. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason