News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 deville convertible top system replacement

Started by cblackmon, September 21, 2014, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cblackmon

I have recently purchased a 70 deville convertible, and I have removed the existing convertible top pump/piston system...the pistons looked horrible, the hoses seem very brittle, and I don't know how well the motor is working.  The area behind and under the backseat was very oily, presumably from the pump motor, as the bottom side hose connection was not installed, and there was no oil in the system at all.  I have replaced the convertible top switch with a brand new one.  I am pretty sure I am going to buy a complete system, but I don't know how to refill it (can't seem to see any sort of reservoir on the new motor).  Based on what I have read, I believe the manufacturer recommends tranny fluid be used in the system?  How/where do I fill it?  Would love to get some guidance on this---I have an original repair manual for the car, but it says very little about this system.  Thx
Colin Blackmon

Scot Minesinger

Colin,

You can buy the pump motor, pistons and hoses fairly easily from many sources.  Normally I would recommend USA Parts, but in this case, buy them form a convertible top specialty place such as Hydro Electric or Convertible Service 626-285-2255.  This source will tell you exactly how to fill the reservoir.  Most times when you buy the pump it does not come with instructions.  I did this job about three years ago on my 1970 Convertible Cadillac and as I remember:

There is a rubber plug either on top or on the end.  Pull it out and use an old style oil can squirt-type and fill using that.  Run top up and down until fluid drains.  It is going to have to fill pistons and lines so it takes 10 sec., then add some more.  It make a certain sound when no fluid, keep adding until it was all bled out.  You can see the fluid in the tubes (translucent) connecting motor to pistons-make sure air bubbles are out.  That is my recollection, but verify.  The shop will tell you how to do it.  The motor mounts with three rubber isolators, use them.  I have seen many terrible installations.

On the plumbing of the hydraulic lines, compression fittings are used.  It is easy to get a leak, you need to tighten just enough, and not too much or threads will be stripped, nuts rounded and etc.  Practice on the piece you are removing so you do not mess up the new parts.

This is not a difficult job.

Enjoy your Cadillac!   
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cblackmon

Thanks Scot!  That is very helpful.  The guy that had this car before me really made a mess of things--butchered it, really---this top work is just one of many steps involving some major systems in the car.  Nothing better than to stand on the shoulders of others that have tackled this stuff! 
Colin Blackmon

Scot Minesinger

Colin,

I have three 1970 Cadillacs, two convertible and have enjoyed working on them over the last 5 years or so.  I replaced the factory nylon bushings in the folding top mechanism in both convertibles with nice brass ones.  Have replaced body to frame bushings, timing chains, fuel lines, and got the climate control working perfect.  Much other work completed too, just too long to list.  Anytime, ask be pleased to help.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty