News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 CAD/DUEL RANGE TRANS

Started by FRANKS, September 23, 2014, 09:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANKS

GOOD MORNING ALL, MY QUESTION...CAN I REPLACE THE 1949 HYDROMATIC IN MY CAR TO A DUEL-RANGE HYDRO?  IF SO IS THERE ANY MODIFICATION NEEDED FOR THIS CHANGE OVER?

FRANK STAGNITTO CLC # 13539

R Sotardi #11719

The Dual range column indicator will have 2 positions D-3 & D-4 vs only one for the single range 49-51, the linkage would need to be adjusted to have a second position in Drive. The 1952 column indicator viewer  was inside the steering column end not on top as the 49/50. So, you must guess what Drive range the car is in since no dual range unit ever placed the indicator on top.  The 1952 had a hydraulic reverse unlike the 49/50 that the car needed to come to a complete stop to enter reverse. The 51 was hydraulic reverse also BUT only single range.  I would think it my be more complicated then it appears. I thought that this was discussed a couple of years ago. I'm sure someone will chime in, Ron

Jay Friedman

A 52-55 dual range Hydramatic can be installed in a 49 Cadillac with no problem except the minor problem of 2 Dr positions on the later transmissions. I have been told by owners who have done this that they can feel the 2 positions without the pointer on the steering column precisely pointing to either Dr3 or Dr4.  BTW a 56 or later trans cannot be installed in a 49.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TonyZappone #2624

Having owned four 1956 cars at the same time, trust me you don't want a '56 transmission in your car.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jay Friedman

Sorry, guys, but I gave you info that was not altogether correct in my previous posting. Only 52-54 dual range Hydramatics can be used in a 49 without modification and not a 55.  In 55 the back of the block and the bell housing of the trans were modified such that to use a 55 trans the 49 bell housing and, I think, the 49 torus cover would have to be used with the 55 trans.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

FRANKS

GOOD MORNING GUYS,

THANX THE COMMENTS, ALL OF WHICH WILL BE CONSIDERED.  THE INDICATOR, FOR MY PART, IS NO PROBLEM.  AS FOR THE REVERSE, I KNOW HOW THE OLD HDO "PARK" VS THE DR HDO WORKS  ON THE TWO TRANS'.....AS FOR THE '56 TRANS....I WOULD NOT CONSIDER USING THAT TRANS AS TO ME, IT COULD NEVER MAKE UP IT'S MIND WHAT GEAR TO GO INTO.....!!!!!!  STAY TUNED.

FRANK

Jay Friedman

As Tony said and Frank opined, a 56 or later trans is out of the question. However,you could not use one even if you wanted to as the motor to trans connection is totally different and, I think, the crankshaft is specially balanced in those motors.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

jyinger

I have installed 1953 dual-range hydramatics in two of my '49s, and another one is on the way.  They work great; they fit right in place, no modifications needed.  And you can check the fluid level (and refill) from inside the engine compartment!  The gear indicator is not problem--just at the left edge of the D is D1, and slightly to the right of the D is D2.  And, of course, you can pretty well feel which gear you're in.

Jon Yinger  CLC# 26643

1949 Fleetwood (2)
1949 CDV (2)
1949 Convertible
1952 Fleetwood
1958 Eldorado Brougham
Jon Yinger

Caddy Wizard

54 is the last year you can use with the 49 engine.  In general, these transmissions got better each year.  I like the smoothness and performance of the 54 transmission the best.  But anything newer than the 49 unit will be an improvement (especially for selecting reverse).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jay Friedman

To elaborate on what Art said, the 50 Hydra-matic is the same as the 49 and not much different from the first Hydra-matic in 1940 on Oldsmobile and 41 on Cadillac.  Beginning in 51 the reverse mechanism was changed so that the lever smoothly went into reverse without the gears grinding even if the idle speed was high and/or the car was not completely stopped.  And, as already mentioned in previous postings, in 52 the dual range feature was added so that with the D3 position the trans could be held in 3rd gear (Lo holds it in 2nd gear).  In 56 the trans was completely changed to the new Jetaway version, which initially caused problems (which I'm old enough to remember on my Dad's 56 Oldsmobile). 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984