News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint for chrome surfaces (center of Brougham wheels)

Started by INTMD8, September 23, 2014, 04:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

The center splined hub on a 57/58 Brougham is painted black between the splines.

The company that made my wheels which are a close replica did not paint those areas stating they didn't think the paint would last. (I think they were just being lazy)

Any suggestions on a particular paint to use for this? Is there any type of self etching black paint? Would like to do it in one shot rather than prime/paint if possible as it's such a fine line.

Scot Minesinger

Auto parts stores sell a "black trim" paint that is meant for metal applications like this.  There are many applications from the 50's thru 70's where black paint was applied to alum, st st, and chrome and held up reasonably well.  This paint replicates that process.  It is just a rattle can for $12
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Wayne Womble 12210

Adhesion is a problem with chrome and stainless surfaces.  The common practice is to use a very light coat of Zinc Chromate primer and then paint. I use the zinc and a black epoxy primer. Epoxy primers usually have some zinc component, but with the modern formulations, it has been taken out of many of them.   

INTMD8

Thanks guys.  Only problem I see with using primer then paint is I'm dealing with a bunch of fine lines and maybe you could see the primer edge under the paint? Maybe a super light coat is how it will need to be done.

Roger Zimmermann

If I were placed in your situation, I would not use paint but a black tape. OK, it's not quite an easy job, but it can be done.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

INTMD8

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 25, 2014, 02:08:39 AM
If I were placed in your situation, I would not use paint but a black tape. OK, it's not quite an easy job, but it can be done.

Pinstriping tape or something else? I wonder how it would hold up to the heat.

Roger Zimmermann

Well...This is a factor I did not take in account. I'm using Scotchcal marking film when I want to simulate black paint on chrome parts. This may resist to hihg temperature as well as paint.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Nut

Have you tried Eastwood to see if they sell something that would work?  I know they have black trim paint, I don't know if they've got one that has Zinc Chromate in it.